Author Topic: St L & A petitions to cease service on it's branch from Danville Jct to Portland  (Read 6298 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Story from today's Portland Press Herald.

Possible impact to MNG.

Best Regards,
Glenn

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Hauling_beans_for_B_M_not_paying_off_for_railroad_.html

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Glenn, are you suggesting that the line may become available to MNG for dual gauging or that MNG may lose its ability to operate around the Eastern Prom? Everything depends upon how quickly the state might try to operate passenger service between Portland (presumably India Street) and Lewiston.  Of course, the Back Cove swing span would have to be repaired for either passenger service to india Street or extension of MNG track north toward Falmouth.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Hi Cliff,

I would say "Yes" to both possibilities.  Since the state apparently owns the branch itself, it would seem that if St L & A ceases providing services an operator / tenant (or an operator AND tenant) will be wanted.  MNG, the state DOT, Amtrak and probably others could potentially choose to become involved.

The possibilities and their consequences bear consideration.

Best Regards,
Glenn

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
I don't see either MNG dual gauging anything north of the Back Cove bridge, considering that they are trying to raise money to move out.  And I don't see the State reclaiming the waterfront for standard gauge track any time soon.

NNEPRA (the authority responsible for the Downeaster) is looking for a good place to put another Portland Station.  One of the locations is down south of the Portland/South Portland bridge, where the MEC yard used to be.  Of course staying at the existing station is also being reviewed, along with the old Union Station location. 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
I second James' comments. The state is more interested in courting the likes of Amtrak or some inter-city service. I myself think trying to restore any passenger service to the section below Yarmouth is foolish, as they have already upgraded the tracks from there to Portland for passenger service, and this stretch will not gain that many more riders.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
The last time I was there (a few months ago), the interchange track at the NW quadrant of the crossing at Yarmouth Jct. was still in place, possibly to connect to the existing Pan Am track to Portland.  If this were the choice for passenger service from Lewiston to Portland (probably several years off, in any event), it's possible that the Yarmouth Jct. - Portland SLR segment could be abandoned or simply railbanked by the state, in which case it could become available to MNG (if MNG were interested).  A while ago, Portland Trails expressed an interest in using the Back Cove swing span, and they presumably would also be interested in an abandoned ROW extending toward Falmouth.

On the other hand, I suppose the state could decide to use the SLR segment for Lewiston - Portland passenger service terminating at East Deering. This, like the current Amtrak station on outer Congress St., would require some kind of shuttle service to get people down town. I'm not sure that the possibility of a new station west of the Portland - South Portland bridge (mentioned by James) is compatible with the more recently publicized container terminal and Sprague boat yard proposed for that location.