Author Topic: Maine Central 470  (Read 27151 times)

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Maine Central 470
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2014, 09:36:10 PM »
Mike, have you RIDDEN behind a "super power" steam locomotive at 80 mph? 

Tank engine "teakettles" pale in comparison. Not that they don't have their place and their own attraction, but there's nothing like big steam out on the main line, pouring it on.

Unfortunately there are not too many places where you can experience that. Unless you go to England. They seem to have the right combination of size, speed and "can do" spirit over there.

Richard

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 09:45:17 PM »
With regard to the subject of "Steam Punk", all I can say about that is it reminds me of Part 3 of the famous "Back To The Future" trilogy in which Doc Brown creates a flying steam locomotive time machine and comes back to say goodbye to Marty and his girlfriend. No more Delorean.

Another example would be the old TV series, "The Wild, Wild West," with Robert Conrad. That series mixed the James Bond spy genre with Old West villains who came up with fantastic steam powered machines and weapons.  Now "funk" has become "punk". . . go figure.

Finally, the reference to model railroad steam locomotives being expensive and operating poorly is only partly true. Yes, they are expensive (so is all model railroad motive power in this DCC age) but they run very well. A friend has dozens of different types and they are sweet running, have sound, smoke, and all the details we only could dream about back in the 1950s with Varney die cast 10 Wheelers.

Richard

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2014, 06:50:17 AM »
As far as mainline steam goes, it isn't super power or 80 MPH, but the Reading & Northern puts on a good show with 425.  They can really move along on good track.  If I have my dates correct, they should be coming behind my house four times this weekend (two ferry moves, and two loaded moves from Mountaintop to Jim Thorpe).

Bernie

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 03:30:27 PM »

Paul Levesque

• Flagman
  • Too many interests too little time.
    • View Profile
    • My FB Page (this is it for now)
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2016, 05:35:56 PM »
Three pictures from yesterday.  Impressive work.

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134218704@N08/28900054285/in/dateposted-public/

Paul
P. Levesque
Fairfield, ME

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2020, 11:44:28 AM »
Contract signed for construction of a replacement tender body for #470. Here is a summary, dated 1/9/2020 ....
New England Steam Corporation is pleased to announce a signed contract with Millinocket Fabrication & Machine of Millinocket, Maine to construct a replacement tender body for Maine Central 470.

Considerable discussion between NESCo and MF&M over the past year has determined the best method to achieve a modern but nearly exact copy of the original tender tank. Manufacturing technology has been considerably upgraded since the age of steam, so there will be welded fabrication inside the cistern that will vastly extend its service life over that of the original. However, as part of NESCo’s mission of preserving not just the locomotive but the skills required to maintain it, hot riveting in the old-fashioned method will be employed by NESCo volunteers to complete all of the external riveting once the fabricated tender is delivered to Washington Junction yard. Original tender doors, grab irons, ladders, and certain fixtures will be removed from the original tender and applied to the new body, which will sit on the original Commonwealth frame and trucks.

More here:
https://www.newenglandsteam.org/news/tenderbodyreplacement
Graham

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2021, 08:09:20 PM »
Over the last 5 years (with fits, starts, and stops), Bernie Perch built the new whistle for MEC 470 as a "once and done" project. (He is not looking to make more whistles.) See the attached photos (shared with permission.) The parts were cast at Cattail Foundry. He hopes to machine most of it himself.

I think you'll agree that Bernie is a true craftsman, and we're fortunate to have him involved with the WW&F and so many other preservation projects.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2021, 08:44:27 PM »
Up to Bernie's usual excellent standards.  Well Done Bernie!!!
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2021, 07:18:34 AM »
Nice work, Bernie.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.