Author Topic: Hypothetical Bus Trip  (Read 5515 times)

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Hypothetical Bus Trip
« on: September 03, 2013, 03:21:03 PM »
Alright, I've got a little "hypothetical" situation for everyone... Let's assume that someone markets a bus trip to one of the scenic operations within an hour or so of, say, Worcester, MA. For kicks and giggles, lets say the Valley Railroad. Assuming the price for the trip, which covers the bus and the ticket on the Valley Railroad, is $55, would you guys think of purchasing a ticket? Of course, this is entirely "hypothetical", but some input would be appreciated. I already got some positive input from the New England and New York Railfan group on Facebook.Using some of that input, I included the River Boat into my calculus... Seriously, thoughts anyone? I know it isn't WW&F related, but I could use the input. Is the price to steep? Any thoughts on the "hypothetical" trip?

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical Bus Trip
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:12:35 PM »
I think this idea would be more attractive if the starting point were more of a tourist destination by itself, although I guess the newly-beautiful Worcester station is a good starting point for the railfan community. What's the competition for your proposal - what do the MassBay RRE, Mystic Valley, and similar groups do, and what do they charge? What am I, the customer, getting for my $55. A price of $55 is reasonable for a five-course gourmet dinner, but rather high for a hot dog  :)

-John

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 04:19:02 PM »
If I had to drive to Worcester, I wouldn't go on the trip even if it were FREE !

Seriously, I think you need a more "user friendly" starting / ending point for your hypothetical trip. As for the price, I think it's more than reasonable.  I'd like to go down to see the "New Haven #3025" in steam, but don't care to drive that far if I can help it. 

Richard

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 04:35:52 PM »
I think John has a good idea on the start point. If it is Worcester, you have to ensure Richard's concerns are met (where do we park, is it safe, and is it free?)

I too wouldn't mind seeing "New Haven 3025". I would *really* like to see both 40 (or is it 97 that is still serviceable, I forget) and 3025 out on the line and throw in "rare mileage" to the end of operable track to the north. (I've ridden to Old Saybrook at least twice, but never north on the line past the regular tourist train tour.)

That I would gladly pay more than $55 for... but no more than $75.

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »
Hmm... I really like that idea of picking up at Union Station. The only problem is that parking isn't free right there. As for what the $55 gets, it gets a run on the train and on the boat. Now... We could see what it would take to get some decent catering, like Subway or the like.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
Hypothetically speaking - yes I would think of purchasing a ticket.  IF I lived near Worcester, of course.  Living in Maine, the price would be interesting but the jump-off point is too far away.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 05:44:18 PM »
Well, since my wife retired in June and we moved to Lancaster, Pa., we've been eyeing bus trips. So far, we've done one -- to Cape May, NJ, at a cost of $89 each. That included the bus trip and a two-hour boat tour of the area. Day trips seem to run somewhere between $40 and $149, depending on where the trip goes and what admissions are included. For example, a trip to Baltimore is $42 if you just do the bus, but if you go to the aquarium, it jumps to $67. You can take a day trip to New York City for $50, but if you want to take in a Broadway show, it may cost as much as $235!

Railfan content: a trip to Altoona, which includes a visit to Horseshoe Curve and a ride on the Amtrak "Pennsylvanian" over the Curve between Altoona and Johnstown for $120. Based on that, I'd say a $55 trip that includes a train ride is probably in the ball park.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:58:27 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 03:03:53 PM »
VRR already hosts bus tours from all over. Many originate from as far away as NYC or even further.
Worcester or even Springfield is not so "out there," bit my guess is it's already being done.
As for the pricing? Ask the charter companies.