Author Topic: Fall work weekend 2013  (Read 24269 times)

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Fall work weekend 2013
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 10:53:36 AM »
Steve,
How about putting down one of those coatings where you apply a clear liquid with rollers ans brushes then sprinkle in small vinyl chips? When it dries after 24 hours or so you have a solid vinyl-coated floor that is very easy to clean and maintain.
Duncan

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »
Duncan;
Blasphemy!
Dave

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »
Dave,
Perhaps but easier to clean and maintain.
Duncan

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 06:58:52 AM »
A project that I thought of for the work weekend that would be good for 3-6 people would be replacing crossing timbers at Trask Crossing and both crossings at Alna Center.  The Trask timbers need to be removed and re-set.  Either shims are needed because of the tie plates, or the timbers need to be notched out.  I would think shims would be easier, as well as it would make the timbers level with the track (important for plowing).  The project is essentially self-contained once the timbers have been delivered, although workers would need to protect against trains.

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 08:44:31 PM »
Hello, this will be my first time coming to a work weekend. If everything works out, my son(he's not yet a member) and I would like to come up Friday night, work Saturday and maybe part of Sunday. We were up in June and piddled around with a picnic table and thoroughly enjoyed the day! I was wondering what kind of accommodations are available or perhaps if pitching a tent is an option.

Hope we can be of help that weekend. My son is strong of mind and back. I am a bit weak on both counts!

Thanks, John

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »
Hi John,

When I stay overnight I usually stay at the Wiscasset Motor Lodge on U.S. Route 1, about 10 - 15 minutes or so from the museum.  I've never been disappointed staying there.  It's also convenient to Ship's Chow Hall on U.S. Route 1, on the way to the museum and about 5 minutes away.  Many of us from the museum usually have breakfast there at 6 a.m. or so Saturday and Sunday, and a bit later on Monday.  Website is http://www.wiscassetmotorlodge.com/.  I do understand they are nearly full for Columbus Day weekend, as Dave B. and I just made our reservations 10 days ago.

Other members stay at other local motels, so hopefully they'll offer their opinions on other places to stay as well.

- Bill aka A
What–me worry?

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 10:05:40 PM »
Thank you Bill. I'll definitely check them out.

John

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 10:43:05 PM »
Although I have not done so, I once asked if pitching a tent at Alna Center would be OK and was told it was. It would have to be beside the building or across the tracks therefrom, as that is the only land we own there. I must admit that I haven't seen any other tents, so maybe some other respondents would have comments.

-John
p.s. Thanks for the picnic table work; there are one or two other things I want to do to that table if you are willing  ;)

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »
Yea, the tent thing is sounding less attractive, especially if it rains! Hopefully motel accommodations will jell.
As for picnic table gandy-dancing, most certainly. Where ever we can be of help.

John

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »
Myself  and others have been looking for 55/60#, 12' switch points.  I have a quote at $1440 a pair, too high?  How about 60#, 5' points with heel blocks?  60 lb ASCE rail switch point heel block for use on 5'0" switch points. Attach switch point to stock rails and closure rails providing solid attachment point to reduce derailments and decrease maintenance over heel joints.

http://www.ez2rail.com/switch-components/switch-points/60-lb-5-0-switch-point

http://www.ez2rail.com/switch-components/heel-blocks

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 06:20:39 PM »
The plan for track work has changed.  I have been in contact with Jason and due to some concerns about the final location of the tracks in the North yard extension he would like to hold off on laying any more track for now.  We hope to have the survey completed and locations finalized so that we can lay the yard track in the spring.  As a result of this change the track work focus will be on main line surfacing, leveling, and lining.  Depending on which day the mainline will be available and if we have enough people who actually will be interested on doing track work my revised plan involves commencing at Trask Crossing and having a crew re-replanking the crossing and some of the crew working north from there with a goal of surfacing, lining, etc., all the way to Alna Center.  If we get that done we will move to another section that needs attention.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »
Dwight and I got most of the field on the Albee side of the fence cut down, that side had not been cut for 3 years. The bushes and small trees were getting pretty big for the metal bladed trimmers.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 08:05:07 AM »
The weather service is calling for mostly sunny days on Friday and Saturday with a few high, thin clouds.  Skies will be clear for Sunday into Monday.  Daytime temps will be in the 60's with overnight lows in the 30's inland with 40's along the coast. 

If you are coming to Sheepscot, wearing layers is the best bet.  There is a touch of frost this morning but temps will rise into the mid 60's by early afternoon.  By Friday most of the muddy spots from Monday nights rain should be dried up.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »
Work Weekend Day 1:
* Garage walls are up.
* Trask crossing has been replaced
* #9 by this point should be on its wheels in Bay 4.
* The charter was a great success.  The folks from the UK were quite happy and are looking forward to coming back next year.
* The first set of switch timbers were put in on the spur.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2013, 07:39:58 PM »
Slight update -

#9 will be moved over into the newly cleared part of bay 2 (in the extension).  The wood for the tender deck was brought in and stored in  bay 1.

Shop - A major clean up was done in the extension especially in bay 2. 

Both riveters were brought inside the shop building. The scissors riveter is suspended from the beams in between bays 2 and 3, north end.  The bull riveter was moved onto the new rolling palate that Brendan built.  It resides between bays 2 and 3 in the extension.

Charter - As James noted, the group had a great time at Sheepscot, they were supposed to leave at noon and stayed until around 2.  The tour operator (located in MA) is interested in bringing people up for Victorian Christmas