Author Topic: Monson #3 status at Phillips  (Read 15667 times)

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Monson #3 status at Phillips
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:19:45 PM »
It's been quite some time since we last heard about the status of #3 locomotive at Phillips. Is there anything new to report?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Monson #3 status at Phillips
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 09:30:16 PM »
The SR&RL Monson page (http://www.srrl-rr.org/Projects/Monson_3/Monson_3.htm) was updated on January 1, 2013.

Essentially, she's back in Phillips, and needs to be re-assembled. 

The SR&RL annual meeting is tomorrow, in Phillips.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 09:34:53 PM »
Who is in charge up there these days?

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »
To change the topic a little, what is the story on Monson number 3?

Bernie
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:56:07 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 08:10:40 AM »
Monson 3 is under lease by the SR&RL group, so your query should go in that forum.  Not that anybody I know about from there posts here!

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 03:07:24 PM »
Unforunately their web page hasn't been updated in a while, so no idea what the current status is.  Other than they need more money, which I can personally verify having heard it from Bill Berry at the Augusta train show on Saturday.

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:10:05 PM »
James,

Thank you.  I have been trying to follow it on their web site and that's why I asked the question.  I thought some progress was being made.  It seems a shame that it is just sitting around.

Bernie

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »
I was going to report on what I heard from the show, but it's been a few days and I've forgotten most of what I was told.  I also didn't really ask much about it.

Basically what I remember is - it's coming along, slowly.  It might be operating this year.

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »
I was in Phillips on Memorial Day and drove thru  the open SR&RL Railway gate to the Round House.  Noah was there alone and showed us the progress.  Monson #3 is somewhat approaching looking like a locomotive again.  All the big dollar stuff is done, but final assembly has a long way to go.  Their working crew seems small.  Noah is still the spark plug; his youthful vitality can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope someone will update the website with more details. Our group left them a donation and plead with others to do likewise. This thread I found is more than a year old:

http://www.srrl-rr.org/news/money_troubles.htm

http://www.srrl-rr.org/Projects/Monson_3/Monson_3.htm   This one was updated 3/1/2014
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:25:04 PM by Glenn Byron »

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 08:13:57 AM »
I was in Phillips on Sunday and talked a bit with Bob Troup. He said they have made a proposal to the MNG to purchase Monson 3 outright, the logic being that they have already invested ~$120,000 in the engine while MNG values her at only $90,000. It's unclear to me how this idea will be received by MNG, but all further work has been put on hold pending the outcome of negotiations.

Whatever happens, they are still in desperate need of money.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 08:46:01 AM »
Guides to personal success in the business world sometimes say, "You are what you wear." In this age of social media, "You are what your web site says you are."

Are there any readers of this forum who can help Sandy River develop a more compelling web site?

-John

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 07:01:03 AM »
They also need to get out a newsletter.  They probably would be able to get more money if they did that.  I've been a member for 2 or 3 years now and don't recall getting any newsletters from them in that time.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »
All I received is my opening packet and then, a year or so later, a renewal form. I sent an email to the listed email address and, when I didn't receive the courtesy of a reply, I knew they didn't really want me to renew my membership. As John has noted the website isn't of much use and hasn't had a significant update in years. I wish them well but they need to improve their communications to the members and public at large.
Dave

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 10:08:13 PM »
Years ago when I was still working, my employer Verizon would match donations to non-profits dollar for dollar. In addition to giving to the WW&F and the East Broad Top, I once sent a substantial donation to the SR&RL Museum at Phillips.  A stipulation by Verizon was that the group the donation was sent to had to contact Verizon to verify the receipt of the gift.  If not verified by a certain date, they would LOSE the Verizon matching amount.  I received notice from Verizon that they had not received such verification from SR&RL and that the time period was about to expire. I finally made phone contact with someone at Phillips and they handed me a bunch of excuses as to why they had not verified my gift. I told them they had better get on the stick and do it or they would lose the matching gift. They finally did reach Verizon with just a day left before the deadline.  I got back to them and stated that if they were as cavalier as that about getting a substantial matching donation, then they really didn't need the money. I have not donated a penny since.  Lack of communication and organization seems to be the S.O.P. up there. It is their game to lose.

Richard

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 02:35:39 PM »
It's not very nice of us to be taking pot shots at our fellow preservationists. After all, they are doing the best that they can with the hand they've been dealt.

And keep in mind that someday we might need a favor from them.....