Author Topic: Will the SR&RL #6 briefly run on the WW&F?  (Read 16102 times)

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Will the SR&RL #6 briefly run on the WW&F?
« on: May 01, 2013, 09:06:46 PM »
A few years ago, Pleasure Island & Western RR #5 operated on the WW&F for a brief period in celebration of its Massachusetts heritage.

Once WW&F #9 becomes operational, will we be treated to a brief appearance of SR&RL #6?   I think that lots of Two Footer fans would love to see and photograph that.  I certainly would.

Stretching it a bit, perhaps even Sandy River RR #5 might appear?   

What say the powers that be?

Richard

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Will the SR&RL #6 briefly run on the WW&F?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:06:50 AM »
I wouldn't put it past us to do that.  It may need to be approved by the owner, Dale King (the lease agreement specifies that it appear as it did on the WW&F).

2016 is the 125th anniversary of it's construction.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 06:18:34 AM »
2016 is also when the National Narrow Gauge Convention returns to Maine. 

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:59:28 AM »
At least the number plate would be easy -- just turn it upside down! ;D

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »
Since I'm at work, with no access to any of my books...

Is there a significant difference in the locomotive's appearance (cab, headlight, etc.) between its Sandy River #6 appearance and how it looked on KC and WW&F?

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »
I wouldn't put it past us to do that.  It may need to be approved by the owner, Dale King (the lease agreement specifies that it appear as it did on the WW&F).

2016 is the 125th anniversary of it's construction.
Didn't former owner Alice Ramsdell like it presented as SRRR 5 or SR&RL 6 while she had it?
Also if the temporary renumbering is approved, I'm sure that funds could be raised to cover the costs and I'll be in on that!

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 05:47:05 PM »
What about having thin magnents made as decals so to speak with the different lettering? I have seen other railroads do this and it is hard to tell it is a magnent when done correctly.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 08:14:58 PM »
There also is a thin, self-stick vinyl material which easily can be peeled off when the event is over.  It can be painted, silk screened, etc. with any wording desired. It snuggles over rivets, etc. quite nicely.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »
The self sticking stuff can be pricey and would need to be purchased each time. Conway was given a decal like that to be used for a steam in the snow event a few years ago, and when trying to peel it off it was discovered it wasnt going to come off easily. So it is still currently lettered in the CN livery.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 07:04:36 PM »
Usually you can heat the material with a hair dryer or something similar to get it to "relax" and peel off. Movie people use it to cover existing names with something else.

As far as "pricey", how many times are you going to need it?  Once?

I used to hand letter the Wolfeboro RR locomotive #250.  That's a lot of work. Especially when owner Don Hallock had a fixation on spelling it "Wolfeborough".   By the time you got done with the name on both sides of the tender, the numbers under the cab windows and on the rear of the tender. you had had enough.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »
I think that the thin style magnents would be best because then tye museum could re use them as often as they wanted with only having the one time price. And for one event the engine could be re lettered in a matter of minutes. And yes, usually decals come off fairly easy, but in the cades I have seen, they often get stuck and become more permanent.

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 08:03:01 AM »
Well, some of the vinyls are inexpensive.  Take these trucks for example (for the record, I've had family connections to Al's Oil for years); The vinyls start wearing out relatively quickly on the vans because it's lightweight (it starts peeling within two months in some cases). The oil trucks get a heavier duty graphic applied, and those ones last for years. I just can't remember what material is used on the vans at the moment...

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »
Okay all.
With over 23 years in the sign  business, the ONLY product I would recommend is 3M Scotchcal or equals. This is heavy duty, UV resistant and can be removed with a heat gun.

If the use is only one time, then a magnetic based cheap vinyl is the way to go.
Ira Schreiber

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »
When #9 was SRRR #5 she had a box head light.  In the early years as SR&RL #6 she had the rounded oil head light with the side panels (where the locomotive's number could be set).  The later years as #6 saw her with the electric Maine Central style light.  This light remained on the engine when she went to the KC and later, the WW&F.

The head light depends on what road name and number you want as well as the year to be replicated.  The easiest thing would be to have the loco as SR&RL #6 in the electric era as that is how the engine will be set up with the turbine and MEC style head light.

Stewart 

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 08:38:16 PM »
I'll go along with Stewart's idea.  That's the way I'd prefer to see it depicted.

Along with any color photos taken, we'd want to see some in "black and white", to give it a real period look. No modern stuff in the background would also be nice.