Author Topic: Darjeeling Himalayen Railway  (Read 2993 times)

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Darjeeling Himalayen Railway
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:03:57 PM »
I think "The Beeb" broadcast this film in 2011, so perhaps I'm the last Forum member to have come across it.

In case some are unaware of it, I'll mention that it's a rather unusual treatment of  a narrow gauge mountain railway and the people it serves. Very moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=4xfs9x79b24

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Darjeeling Himalayen Railway
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »
That railroad was featured in one of the early CINERAMA movies of the 1950s.  For those who don't remember, CINERAMA was a "wide screen" system that used 3 cameras and 3 projectors to produce and show a "wrap around" film that was usually characterized by riding in all sorts of vehicles from roller coasters to airplanes.  It was the IMAX of its day.  If you sat front and center, it could make you motion sick.  So putting the 3 cameras on the Darjeeling train was a natural. I remember seeing it and feeling as if I were on the locomotive. The stereo sound completed the effect. 

Eventually CINERAMA became obsolete. It only could be shown in the few theaters equipped to show the films. So the film industry came up with single camera wide screen systems like CINEMASCOPE, VISTA-VISION, TODD-A-O, and a host of other wrap-around screen effects.  Using a single 70 or 90 mm camera also eliminated the irritating "seams" which were very visible in the original CINERAMA productions where the 3 films were blended together.  I believe the final "real" CINERAMA film was, "How the West Was Won" which is often shown on TV today. They have been able to digitally remove the seam lines and it shows in "letterbox" format.  It has some great train scenes in it.

Richard