Author Topic: Big E Train Show 2013, Springfield, MA  (Read 8763 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Big E Train Show 2013, Springfield, MA
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:08:09 AM »
The Amherst Railway Society's Railroad Hobby Show will be held on Saturday, January 26th and Sunday the 27th at the Eastern States Exhibition Center in Springfield, MA.  Dealer set up is on Friday the 25th.  Once again, the WW&F's gift shop tables will be in the Young Building near the Heros and Legends Cafe.  John Robertson is in charge of the museum's tables.  Please contact John if you are able to help with set up or man a table on Sat or Sun.  Attendance is usually in the 25,000 range so come early if you plan to work.

For more info go to  www.railroadhobbyshow.com

Stewart

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: Big E Train Show 2013, Springfield, MA
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:34:09 PM »
The Big E Show went well with good attendance.  We counted at least 20 WW&F museum members that either worked at or stopped by the gift shop tables Friday - Sunday. As in past years it was like old home week seeing so many friends.  Ellis Walker was there for a while, it was nice to visit with him.  Store sales were good with totals over $2,000.  The WW&F's table was in what we call "narrow gauge corner" of the Young Building.  It's a great place to talk n.g. railroads.   Near the WW&F was the SR&RL table, Dave Newton's large two foot layout, Don Sangers classic (over 40 years old) two foot Hon2 module and Friends of the C&TS exhibit.

One of the show highlights was the awards presentation ceremony held Sunday afternoon on the stage in the Mallory Complex.  A number of historical and preservation groups received grants during the 45 minute event.  The WW&F Railway Museum was the receipient of the 2013 Robert A. Buck Memorial Grant.  Zack and Stewart went up to receive the award which was a check for $3,000 toward the completion of the new restroom facility.  The ARS film crew was on hand recording the event.

Many thanks to the Amherst Railway Society for their generosity.   The ARS has long supported the WW&F and this years grant is a big help in funding the new museum facility.

Stewart    
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:12:50 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:02:35 AM »
A few notable things from this years show -

The show program guide / vendor list has been enhanced with a number of pages having QR codes for guests to scan with their phones.

Dave Newton had at least 6 locomotives on his layout, many were brought by friends.  There was a Sandy River #23 that looked to be over two feet long.  Beautiful engine.  The famous poultry truck was back again.  We know when it was rolling, with sounds heard all over narrow gauge corner.  The owner's motto: "If it ain't cluckin' you ain't truckin"  

Vendors and exhibits have almost filled the south room of the Mallary complex.  A couple of years ago only half of the back space was used.

New England Patriots cheerleader Jaclyn toured the Young Building Sunday afternoon and stopped by the WW&F table.  

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:37:31 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:45:01 AM »
New England Patriots cheerleader Jaclyn toured the Young Building Sunday afternoon and stopped by the WW&F table.   

That would have made a nice photo for the front of the next newsletter!

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »
That's true Dave.  Too bad no one had a camera or phone handy. 

It seems there are always a few surprises at the show such as who shows up and what new things are there.  We take a bunch of things from the gift shop to see what does well (other than Stephen's beautiful calendars which always sell).  This year we sold out of ... WW&F shot glasses!  Who'd have thunk it.  Ok, where's the party??

Dan Shelley

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »
  It was a great show. I swung by the booth, but it was busy so moved on with intention on making it back. I moved through all the buildings in 1 day.

Next year 2 full days at the show, but my commute will be longer from NC.

Dan

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »
The ARS now has clinics during the week prior to the show.  These are held at a local hotel so there are ARS officials in Springfield all week.  This gives them the ability to open the Big E buildings to vendors on Wednesday.  Some vendors, museums and railroads will bring things in on Weds which gives them a presence at the show for 5 days.  I've never been there before Friday morning so I didn't know what the activity level was but some of the large layouts and exhibits are already set up and running on Friday.  This could work to the museum's advantage if we decide on a larger or different display.  Of course there would have to be volunteers willing to stay a day or two longer than we do now.

Stewart 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »
No sales can be made the days prior to Saturday, correct? So they would just be setting up? My schedule is rather open that time of year, as long as mother nature co-operates and doesn't snow the wife in.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 09:56:23 PM »
I saw a couple of vendors making sales Friday afternoon but I think most didn't start selling until Sat morning.  Much of Friday's action is layout testing/operations.  The fun part is seeing what is around before the crowds come in.  I saw a number of nice exhibits like the large Bachmann display in the BLC.  They had everything ready by lunch time Friday.

ARS Show Director John Sacerdote will be visiting Sheepscot this Spring.  We can ask him about the Weds - Thursday stuff.

Stewart
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:44:14 PM by Stewart Rhine »