Author Topic: The latest update on the progress going on at Albion Maine  (Read 7227 times)

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
The latest update on the progress going on at Albion Maine
« on: January 02, 2013, 12:41:38 AM »
Its been awhile since I have heard a update on the progress going on with the restoration of the Albion Station and the WW&F Flanger Car (which I don't know if the museum has plans on moving it down to Sheepscot when its restored. Any news?  ??? :)
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: The latest update on the progress going on at Albion Maine
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »
Matthew;
The station is coming along nicely. The outside stair tower was installed last year by Phil and his crew. The temporary interior stairs were also removed. The T&G ceiling is mostly finished. Some work was also done on the interior walls. As for the flanger, it belongs to the Albion Historical Society and will not be moved to Sheepscot. Nothing has been done on it recently. 15 ties were replaced at the southern end during the annual Albion Day.
Dave

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »
What's the whole story up in Albion?

Years ago I "supposedly joined" the Society up there. Had virtually no communication from them. We visited the station in the early years of the restoration project.  We donated some money now and then, but again, communication was lax at best.  Seemed like a "one lung" operation.

Is the Albion Historical Society, like so many of the little town Societies, basically a one man operation which is open every third Tuesday of even months, from 1 to 3 PM?  Do they have a "plan" for the railroad buildings, right of way, and other artifacts, or is it all in a state of flux?

I have "joined" half a dozen such organizations over the years and they all seem to suffer from the same problem. . . lack of communication with members.  I let them all lapse, as I never even got a renewal notice from most of them.  More power to them, but it seems as if they mostly are whipping a dead horse.

Richard

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 02:12:12 PM »
Richard;
The AHS comprises more than just Albion Station. When we were up there for Albion Day in November, Phil Dow (the current president) handed out a four page newsletter which was quite nice for such a small organization. The annual membership fee is quite reasonable at $5.00. I don't know their membership numbers but they have a full slate of officers.
Yes, the members interested in the station are small but they are very dedicated and, I'm sure, use their own funds to buy materials for the station. The fact that they saved the station form oblivion is proof of their dedication. Being a member is more than paying your annual fees. If the members don't get involved then nothing happens. Why don't you mark November 2, 2013 on your calendar and join our merry band to help out?
Best regards,
Dave

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 04:10:59 PM »
I might consider that, but as with the WW&F, it's a pretty far trip.  If I were younger it would be much easier.  I can't drive until April, due to a seizure I suffered last October. That was a wake-up call.  I'm doing okay, but not up for much heavy labor anymore.

I have nothing against folks who try to keep things together, as you describe the AHS. But if they are really serious, they need to get more organized and professional. Just the fact that dues are $5.00 is next to pointless in this day and age.  That wouldn't even cover expenses for mailing out hard copies of their "once in awhile" newsletters.  Most of these places degenerate into an old hometown boys club. Not that that's a bad thing, but it doesn't usually do much more than keep one step ahead of the weather as far as buildings go.  People (especially from "away") are reluctant to contribute money or time to such rickety propositions.

Richard

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:52:52 AM »
Are the ties from back in '33 or are they nearly new and being replaced because they rotted?
I know I'm out of line in making suggestions but WW&F, AHS, Boothbay, Portland and any place in Maine that has two-footers should band together and try to get clubs like the Airstream camper organization up there to see everything railroad. Just as college bowl games make their money selling blocks of tickets to big business, getting masses of people - like the Model T club a few years ago - makes marketing much easier.
Jock Ellis

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:08:23 PM »
Jock, I don't think you're out of line making a suggestion. Hell, no one person or group knows it all.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 07:56:50 PM »
There are no original WW&F ties.  The railroad used untreated ties and except for where they are submerged in cold water the ties are long gone.  Albion tried using untreated ties when they started re-laying the mainline 12 years ago.  Those ties are rotten now. 

As to marketing, James is working with some marketing folks who have good ideas for promoting the WW&F Railway Museum. The plans may be launched this year. He can tell you more than I.  With new restrooms and a real parking lot going in service we want to attract groups to Sheepscot such as AAA tours.  The antique auto folks are another bunch to pitch to.  They would love the Model T railcar. 

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 08:22:58 PM »
When we were cutting trees south of Cross Road years ago, I recall running across the remnants of an old tie.  It was in pretty decent shape for being there 70 years.  It was in a pretty thick clump of trees so it must have been protected from the elements.

As for marketing, I'm in touch with students from a senior-level marketing class at a nearby business college.  We are their only project for this practical class.  Since graduation is in May, I expect something in early April.