Author Topic: WW&F No. 51 (The Brookville) - Official Work Thread  (Read 13756 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
WW&F No. 51 (The Brookville) - Official Work Thread
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:59:46 PM »
This thread is for ongoing discussion regarding locomotive 51, aka "the Brookville".
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 51 (The Brookville) - Official Work Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 07:47:38 PM »
Robert Stacy Paine passed away on December 6th at his family's homestead, Paine Hollow in South Wellfleet, MA.  I understand Mr. Paine's Paine Enterprises Marine Railway was the source of our Brookville -- an important part of our museum's history.  A brief discussion of the PEMR can be found at http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=34742

Mr. Paine's obituary can be found at http://www.capecodtimes.com/obituaries/20171210/robert-s-paine and http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Robert-Paine&lc=7888&pid=187493851&mid=7670625
What–me worry?

Jay Barta

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 07:28:56 PM »
Trackcar 51, (former locomotive 51, aka “The Brookville” is undergoing a bit of a refurb/rehab during the winter months. And I thought I’d take a rather long winded moment to provide a project update.

Trackcar 51 is a 1947 Brookville manufactured by the Brookville Locomotive Works of Brookville Pa. The company can trace it’s roots to 1918 when ford dealer L.A. Leathers founded the Brookville Truck and Tractor Company, manufacturing the “Leathers Mine Motor.” A unique concept, the “Mine Motor” was a hybrid kit. When integrated with a Ford one ton truck or Fordson tractor chassis yielded a light rail vehicle that could be locally serviced with stock parts. These were marketed to coal and clay mines, limestone quarries and brick and tile plants that dotted the Northeast and the upper Midwest. The goal was to replace mule surface haulage, and to do the same work as 4 mules. Original models were capable of hauling 50 tons a day, and within several years subsequent models accomplished 150 Tons a day.

As the years passed Brookville’s product evolved to a single sourced product using many different power plants appearing like what we might identify today as a light rail locomotive. The post war 1940’s brought many changes and the cranberry industry was no different. An increase in demand for product as well as expiration of war time ceiling prices drove the “bog boom” in southeast Massachusetts resulting in the creation of hundreds of new cranberry grow sites. The Brookville works rose to the challenge offering the 1.5 ton BSA light rail locomotive. Marketed as the “Cranberry Special” these were offered in 24” gauge, with an option for a 30” version. A total of 16 were produced from 1946 to 1949, with half of the production being sold to growers in southeast Massachusetts and Cape Cod. These were designed to operate over temporary “bog track” typically hauling tip cars of sand involved in bog construction. Brookville touted the locomotive’s attributes in add copy, “It can be used over soft ground and requires only easily laid, light weight track which can be traversed at high speeds due to the freedom of wheel movement allowed by Brookville dual journal spring type, suspension.”

The power is provided by a Continental Y112 4 cylinder L-head gas engine. The largest of the diminutive Y4 series of power plants this beast produced a whopping 37 HP @ 2800 RPM and with it’s relatively low compression ratio, was well suited for low quality fuels as well as propane.

A fun factoid. The Y112 was the original engine provided in the initial pre WW2 Jeep prototype created in 1940 by the American Bantam Company. This was later supplanted by the L134 “Go Devil” as Willys became the predominate war time manufacturer over Ford and Bantam with the ubiquitous Willys MB.

Brookville employed a complete power package with the engine married to a Warner T-9, 4 speed crash box and a split input shaft reverser. These were widely used in forklifts particularly by the Clark company in their Y20 yarder lifts of the 40’s and 50’s and their Clipper series of the sixties. This provided the Locomotive with all gears both in forward and reverse. This approach would make sense for Brookville. Fly in the power plant, bolt it down, add a fuel and electrical source a drive shaft and your good to go. 

Distributed by Russell Trufant of North Carver Mass cn 3233 was ordered in October of 1946 and delivered to JB Atkins a grower in Harwich Mass. Interesting that as this order was processing, down the road in South Carver Mr. Atwood and Mr. Moody were back hard at it building the “ultimate bog railroad”. Any intermediate owners, if any, are unknown. The last owner was a Mr. Robert Paine from Wellfleet Mass. He opened and operated Paine’s Campground in South Wellfleet for decades. He also operated the Paine Enterprises Marine Railway which was comprised of the locomotive and nearly 1,000’ of bog track running from the shoreline up to his yard and shops.

In 1994 he saw to donate 3233 to the museum, and in late summer the “critter” made it’s way to Sheepscot. A few cursory repairs and 51 was placed into service for the annual picnic of that year. This was the first form of motive power for the railroad and it would be over another two and a half years before additional help would arrive in the form of the Plymouth. The last major maintenance undertaking was in 2009 when major overhaul was performed to the running gear, the rear diff. as well as other areas.

In subsequent years it had become increasingly difficult to engage and shift the transmission despite wide clutch adjustments and being a crash box (no synchro) would make it more difficult to listen to. It was determined that both cases had run dry at some point and after topping it off would just end up on the floor from an unknown source. So it was endeavored to pull the transmission to investigate further. Several years ago work began, the transmission pulled but in our imperfect world, more pressing projects arose consuming both human and physical resources deferring the project for several years.

There now appears to be a window to tackle some of these issues. First the transmission, since removal the transmission is locked up in second gear, wouldn’t be surprised if moisture found it’s way into the control towers, we do have a spare if needed. Also planned is a check of the running gear, brake rigging, restoring the oilers which are plugged and rehabbing the sanders, (it has 4 wheel sanders). We’ll then move forward. There have been reports of a small rear main seal weep which I can see evidence of, but the pressure plate and disk are dry so perhaps can be deferred until next winter when we can pull the thing out, flip it over and do front and rear main seals. The fuel system was drained and purged when the transmission came out so that a good thing, but if we encounter trouble I know a Continental Engine whisperer who’s within earshot.

That’s the long and not so short of it. Pics coming when I can figure out the technology. Thanks.

Sources: Brookville Equipment Corp.; American Industrial Mining Co. Museum; National Cranberry Magazine; NE Railfan.Net; WW&F news letter archives 1994, 1995, 1997, 2009; Obituary of Robert Paine 2017.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 08:09:30 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 07:49:30 PM »
Do you have a photo of No. 51 you could post before it went down for repairs?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 08:21:16 PM »
Wow Jay. When you said long winded, you were serious. That is a great history lesson on the Brookville. Thanks for the update. It has been missed since it went down.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jay Barta

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 08:50:11 PM »
Sorry, thanks I've learned way more about cranberries than I'd like. By the way you're the aforementioned "Continental Whisperer"

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 09:32:36 PM »
I'm not much of a whisperer.. But I can still smell that varnished gas from the Shingle Mill Conti..never have I seen one that bad. It has been a couple years, time to get that one running again..
Mike

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 09:52:27 PM »
Time to start planning & designing the sawmill and shingle mill.
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 08:07:21 AM »
Wow!  That's a terrific history, Jay.  Thanks for researching and writing it.  Separately, I was going to update 51's roster page today (http://wordpress.wwfry.org/?page_id=192 -- I've been slowly updating the roster pages the last two months), but I see your information should be added to the page.

Here's a few related photos:

March 1948 Cranberries magazine ad for Brookville's "Cranberry Special."

Recent photo of 51's builder's plate, courtesy of Stewart Rhine.

Brendan Barry photo of 51 in service taken during the Fall 2015 Work Weekend.  See http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php/topic,2548.msg24623.html#msg24623
What–me worry?

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 02:25:39 PM »
Here's a SWW photo of 51 by the water tower. Didn't take on water, as I recall. Not sure which year, but it rained a lot.

Happy New Year!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 07:09:07 PM »
Jay has been making steady progress, and is getting it looking more like its old self.

Mike

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 07:54:35 PM »
I know that Jay has a lot on his plate with rebuilding 51, but I would like to see some handholds added so, like 52, there are some safe and secure places for riders to hold onto. This will help everyone comply with the three points of contact rule.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 11:48:59 AM »
Jay,
      Thanks for all the details on the Brookville; you have added more data than I have ever seen before on this tiny but interesting vehicle!

Ted Miles, WW&F Life Member

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 09:07:42 AM »
Jay Barta was busy working on the punch list to return No. 51 to service yesterday.  Within the last few weeks, he completed repairs to the Brookville's transmission.

Since Dave is not a certified trackcar operator, the remaining punch list does not include addition of a cup holder.
What–me worry?

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2021, 09:06:08 PM »
Looking good today.  We've missed the Brookville in service.  It should be soon now.  Thanks Jay.

What–me worry?