Author Topic: The Somerset Railroad  (Read 5125 times)

Andrew Laverdiere

• Flagman
    • View Profile
The Somerset Railroad
« on: October 18, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »
Good day all. This is kind of a "How I spent my vacation" thread. Hope I didn't make too many mistakes in the video. Enjoy! :)

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=213270298552370336255.00046ec6910ef1ef61b0b&ie=UTF8&t=m&z=8&vpsrc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tGZZ1aljQk

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: The Somerset Railroad
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »
Andrew,

What weight rail? How much rail? How many switches did you run across? Could some of this material be recovered?

Now to find who actually owns this track.  Somebody owns it, but who?

Andrew Laverdiere

• Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:44:45 PM »
I don't know how to gauge rail weights, but from my guess, its the same as the rail that currently is on their existing track from North Anson south, since the section between Madison and North Anson has been unused for about 20 years and has finally been getting some traffic to the mill near the bridge.

The last time I hiked over this area a few years ago, the date stamped on it was 1922 (roughly from what I remember).

How much? Total length from the bridge to Fahi Pond Rd. is 3,325 ft., the two other siding tracks are 1,030 ft., and 936 ft. Then there's all that extra rail sitting in that little storage area in the east side of the yard.

I think there were two switches. Buried in the undergrowth.

Of course it can be recovered, if you have the proper equipment. Its been sitting out there untouched for 33 years.

I would assume that Guilford/Pan Am Railways still owns the ROW. I know very little about how property is dealt with once a company files with the ICC for abandonment.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 12:09:10 PM »
The WW&F is always on the lookout for 60lb rail (or occasionally, lighter.) I've been taught that 60lb rail is 4.25" wide at the base (web) of the rail, and 4.25" tall (bottom of web to top of rail.) I keep a tape measure in my car as I travel, just in case.

We also need switch stands, etc.

Most mainline/branchline rail is substantially heavier. Occasionally, 60lb rail can be found on sidings that were never upgraded from when they were laid.

Once a property with 60lb rail is identified, we have volunteers who can figure out ownership and (hopefully) arrange a donation.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Andrew Laverdiere

• Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
Good luck with that. That would be pretty sweet to see it recycled for use again instead of just sitting out there rusting away.

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 02:34:21 PM »
Remember that rail heavier than we prefer can be traded in for 56/60#.  We have a whole bunch of ground throw switch stands coming.

If someone can tell actually what we need for "yard" switches, I'll go "begging" at Vossloh's (about 3 miles from my house).  I have seen a large pile of light frogs there.  If that fails, I have a friend who is a rail contractor and he owes me big time.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »
Hi Ken,

Jason and Dana could confirm this but I believe we will be using 40lb rail for the upper yard.  There is a pile of it near the spur that we lifted when the mainline was upgraded to 56lb from Davis curve southward.

Stewart