Author Topic: Monson in 2007  (Read 13861 times)

Dan Quine

• Hobo
    • View Profile
Monson in 2007
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:08:49 AM »
I've been putting online various photos I've taken over the years of trips to narrow gauge railways around the world. In 2007, I was lucky enough to spend a day at Monson walking the trackbed around the quarries. My photos are at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80797869@N00/sets/72157631525638620/

I hope these are of interest. I'd welcome any corrections to my interpretations of what we found!

Best,

Dan

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: Monson in 2007
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 02:29:34 PM »
Hi, Dan.  Nice photos!  The major correction I would offer is that you have some of the quarries mixed up.  Your "Pine Tree Quarry" is actually the Eureka Quarry, and your two-part "Eastern Quarry" is actually the Imperial (or Underground) Quarry (nearer the main road) and the Pine Tree Quarry. The real Eastern Quarry is the second to the northeast of the Hebron Pond Quarry (with the Dirigo Quarry between the two). Also, although some maps are misleading, your "Eighteen Pond Quarry" is actually named the Eighteen Quarry, apparently for its location in Lot 18 of the early Piscataquis County maps.

Terry Harper

• Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »
Simply wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

Dan Quine

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »
Hi, Dan.  Nice photos!  The major correction I would offer is that you have some of the quarries mixed up.  Your "Pine Tree Quarry" is actually the Eureka Quarry, and your two-part "Eastern Quarry" is actually the Imperial (or Underground) Quarry (nearer the main road) and the Pine Tree Quarry. The real Eastern Quarry is the second to the northeast of the Hebron Pond Quarry (with the Dirigo Quarry between the two). Also, although some maps are misleading, your "Eighteen Pond Quarry" is actually named the Eighteen Quarry, apparently for its location in Lot 18 of the early Piscataquis County maps.

Ah, many thanks for that Cliff. I'll redraw the map and update the captions.

Dan

Dan Quine

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:01:35 AM »
Simply wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

My pleasure, Terry, so glad you enjoyed them.

Dan

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 07:11:34 PM »
Hi Dan,

Thanks for posting your photos.  I enjoyed the tour of the line(s) and captions.  I've been going to Monson for 15 years and your views show places that I have never seen.  Good stuff!

Thanks,

Stewart

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »
Hi again, Dan. The quarry that you have now changed from "Eastern" to "Imperial" is actually the Pine Tree Quarry, which consists of only one pit. The actual Imperial Quarry is barely visible in the distance of the photos now captioned "Imperial Pit from the platform" and  "Crane support".
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:11:17 PM by Cliff Olson »