Author Topic: WW&F Visits....  (Read 150669 times)

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F Visits....
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »
A true loss to the Tomfoolery section of the forum.  Unless it was your Mouseketeers Micky Mouse Ears Hat.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2015, 05:49:58 PM »
Tom Foolery? Is he a member? Sounds like someone we'd all like
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2015, 10:22:16 PM »
Well, if Tom Foolery is a friend of the WW&F here is his ride.  I found this in the Buenos Aries Railroad Museo.  Note the large Brass Headlight.  You can't see it in this picture, but the bench seat backs were reversible and there were identical controls and a second large Brass headlight on the other end.  Unfortunately, it was broad gauge, 5' 10 inches. 
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2015, 06:31:15 PM »
Dale Reynolds asked me to post this.

Fellow member John Dobson and I on the platform at Porthmadog Harbor depot. Welsh Highlands Railway Garratt behind. My first visit since the WHR was built. The taxpayer cost for the 26 mile line must have been staggering.

Dale is wearing a WW&F shirt.  Sorry, Dale, for the cropping at the knees.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2015, 06:55:09 AM »
Fairmount Water Works, Philadelphia. Here we have Capt. Don Fenstermacher relaxing aboard his steam launch "Phoebe Snow," with the historic water works buildings behind him and his WW&F cap upon his head. Phoebe is a 23-foot vessel, built over the past two years by Don and his son.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:03:20 AM by Wayne Laepple »

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2015, 12:05:54 PM »
Ira at the Colorado RR Museum...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 06:39:32 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2015, 09:21:15 PM »
Fairmount Water Works, Philadelphia. Here we have Capt. Don Fenstermacher relaxing aboard his steam launch "Phoebe Snow," with the historic water works buildings behind him and his WW&F cap upon his head. Phoebe is a 23-foot vessel, built over the past two years by Don and his son.
Does the "Phoebe Snow" burn anthracite?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2015, 06:57:45 AM »
Bill Sample -- Right now M.L. Phoebe Snow burns wood. After Don and his crew build and install a canopy over the cockpit, they will switch to anthracite. It's still possible to buy washed hard coal in 25-pound bags in Pennsylvania!

Don Fenstermacher, Sr.

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
On Sunday, September 20th, I was riding the Durango and Silverton when I heard someone comment about the WW&F hat I was wearing. Turns out it was our train conductor, who introduced himself as Wayne Pratt, son of Gus Pratt. Many of you recognize the name. Gus back in 1935, at the age of 17, using a 16mm movie camera, captured for posterity the action of the rapidly closing Maine 2' gauge rail lines. Fortunately for us his films survived and are now available on DVD in the museum gift shop.

If you do not already have thes DVD's, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, you owe it to yourself to purchase them. It is like a window into the past.

Wayne has been living and working at the D&SNGRR for 25 years. He fondly remembers Maine and does visit occasionally. I believe I recall him saying he visited his father at Boothebay while #9's boiler was being built. He said to say hi.

I am going to try to attach a photo of myself with Wayne Pratt, I hope it works.

Don Fenstermacher

Bryce Weeks

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »
went WAY up north near eagle lake saw lots of people.i was wearing my ww&f hat and people asked what it was and i explained and they said they might visit.and its also BEAUTIFUL up there.
Welder, Inspector, Firemen, Conductor, Track Crew.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2015, 02:48:12 PM »
Rick and Brenda Sisson are on the trip of a lifetime, visiting Australia and New Zealand. Yesterday, they visited the Puffing Billy Railway near Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Rick was wearing his WW&F T-shirt, and he managed a cab ride on one of their NA-class 2-6-2T engines, where he found a lubricator identical to the one on No. 10. He met up with WW&F member Leighton Reed-Nickerson, as well as a number of very friendly local folks.

Rick Sisson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2015, 04:28:26 PM »
Indeed, a trip of a lifetime. The Puff is without a doubt a world class heritage railway operation.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2015, 05:18:51 PM »
A picture from Facebook:

From Linc Reed-Nickerson: Left to right.... Harry Hibgame, Linc Reed-Nickerson, Russ Hicks. Rich Sisson, Brenda Sisson, and John Brady.  Harry and Russ are project managers and draftsman on the Garratt project, John is the lead mechanical engineer, and Linc is a fitter and turner (machinist) on the project.  Linc and Russ are WW&F members as well as Puffing Billy members.  The locomotive in the background is one of two Garratts at Puff, this one is slated for eventual restoration and is at the Museum in Menzies Creek, Victoria, Australia.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2015, 04:25:23 AM »
Great picture.

Is that 2' - 2'6" dual gauge track?

Rick Sisson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2015, 04:37:07 AM »
Yes, it is. There's some 2'6" equipment ahead of the  Garrett.