Author Topic: WW&F Visits....  (Read 151296 times)

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F Visits....
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 10:12:06 AM »
Here is one half of the Virginia track crew contingence showing the ‘colors’ at the end of the Durango and Silvertown broad gauge (3’) line in Silvertown during a visit to almost all of the Colorado railroads.  The interesting discovery of the trip was at the Cripple Creek and Victor narrow gauge, which was originally laid as either 3’ or standard gauge, depending on which part.  It is now a ‘two footer’ with most of the equipment coming from Germany via Mexico.  They have two 2-4-4-2’s, both currently in overhaul condition.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 05:54:18 PM »
Durango and SILVERTON.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
Nice picture Bill.  The D&S is a beautiful trip.  Did you stop over at the Silverton Northern enginehouse while you were there?  The SN crew is rebuilding a rare SN caboose in the right stall.

BTW - Some of us consider 3' railroads as standard gauge and the 4' 8.5" pikes as broad gauge  ;D

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 09:48:56 PM »
I was going through some old photos and found this one. I thought Fred should see it...

http://www.morsemuseum.org/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:30:17 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 04:24:22 AM »
Gee Ed,

I thought you were standing in front of the new building.  Since he's donated so much to build it (and fill it), Fred is garage rat #1

Start

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2014, 08:14:49 PM »
Here is an intrepid WW&F Gandy Dancer at the tail end of the old Rhodesia Broad Gauge (3 ft) Train poised on the Victoria Falls Bridge with the Car in Zambia and the coupler in Zimbabwe.  It was too hot to wear the WW&F colors, sorry.  The Train is pointed to Cairo, Egypt.  Behind the photographer is the route to Capetown, South Africa.  The Railroad was originally built to supply timbers for the Diamond Mines.  The biggest problem on the trip was monkeys and Zebras on the tracks.

Bill Baskerville

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 06:55:57 PM »
On Sept 1, 2014, I had the privilege to visit the Arizona and Pacific Railroad - a private 16" backyard railroad consisting primarily of Amusement Park "steam-outline" veterans. The owner collects and restores Allan Herschell S-16 trains and related artifacts and runs them in his immaculate yard.

You can see proof of my visit on his excellent web site:
http://www.arizonaandpacificrr.com/projects/projects.html
(Note the WW&F shirt I am wearing as I am gingerly handling the locomotive through a curve.)

Not far from my boyhood home was a small amusement park ("Jolly Cholly's" of North Attleboro, MA.) They operated a S-16 and I have many fond memories of riding it. While the whereabouts of that particular locomotive is unknown, there is a unique set of artifacts from Jolly Cholly's in the A&P Collection - a left/right pair of switchstands. The interesting thing is that they were never installed at Jolly Cholly's - which featured a simple oval layout. The switchstands are brand new and the owner has the original shipping label addressed to Jolly Cholly's.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
Hi Ed,

I REMEMBER JOLLY CHOLLY'S!!!!!

They were in Attleboro, MA and had a hamburger place and a nice little amusement park.  Great childhood memories.  Found some videos on YouTube that showed the train.

I also remember Cowboy Town just up the road.  As I recall they used 2' gauge bog equipment.

Best Regards,
Glenn 

Richard Cavalloro

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2014, 08:49:44 AM »
Glen, do you recall the train ride at Highland Orchards in Scituate, RI?????

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2014, 09:03:55 AM »
Cowboy Town would have been before my time. I visited JC's in the mid 1970s. According to the web, Cowboy Town closed before I was born.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »
Glen, do you recall the train ride at Highland Orchards in Scituate, RI?????

Hi Richard,

Sorry, I'm familiar with Scituate, MA, but not Scituate, RI.  My wife grew up in Norwell, MA which is the next town over.  A Norwell resident named Paul Gevny (sp?) used to have a nice live steam track on his property.

Sorry I have no information about Highland Orchards.

Best Regards,
Glenn

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2014, 01:10:50 PM »
Cowboy Town would have been before my time. I visited JC's in the mid 1970s. According to the web, Cowboy Town closed before I was born.

Ahhhh, Ed ... you make me feel old!

Grins,
Glenn

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2014, 07:51:28 PM »
the North Carolina Railroad Museum at Bonsal, NC, which operates the New Hope Valley Railroad. Pictured are Dave Lathrop and Yours Truly on Nov. 8. Also seen is NHV No. 17, an oil-fired Vulcan 0-4-0T. I was wearing my WW&F T-shirt and my WW&F work shirt under my boiler suit. I assisted in the disassembly of some of the spring rigging and valve gear of Cliffside RR No. 110, a Vulcan 2-6-2 the museum recently acquired. This museum operates only two or three days each month, but they are very disappointed if they carry less than 500 people each day! It is located just west of the "Research Triangle" (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) area in central NC. They are a very friendly bunch there.  
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:51:24 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 10:42:06 PM »
Our WW&F was well represented during a visit to the Buenos Aries RR Museo where their street side attraction was a British built 4-6-0 Locomotive built for a potato plantation.  They also had a really interesting rail car inside.  Of course it was tee shirt weather while Virginia had 9 degree temperatures, snow and ice.  But I know true WW&F'ers wouldn't be fazed by that.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:44:26 PM by Bill Baskerville »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 06:05:28 AM »
I wore my WW&F hat during my trip to Disney World in January - but of course no picture of that exists.