Author Topic: Maintaining Right-of-Way  (Read 16798 times)

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Maintaining Right-of-Way
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »
Sheep could graze the ROW all week long...and our younger vistors will love to see (and feed them) in their pen on the weekends  :)

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
My recollection is that the yurt residents had some that used to trim the grass at Sheepscot Mills.

-John

Eric Larsen

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »
The sheep would just atract more lions.   ;D

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 06:39:02 PM »
Not Sheep.

Cows.
They are natural Lawn Mooers.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 06:52:29 PM »
Sheep to cut the grass, not a baaaaaaad idea.  Well, it would put the sheep back in Sheepscot. 

Who ever brought it up ...  thank ewe.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 07:17:53 PM »
Enough, already!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 08:43:17 PM »
Many ski resorts use sheep as a low intensity method of brush mitigation.

Thieves will take ANY copper they can get.  When dealing with wire they will either scrap it as is with the insulation, toss it in a fire to try and melt the insulation off, or some have bench-top cranks that the wire can be fed into and will split the insulation right off, the price of copper makes every little bit count and when they are working in a location that is unattended they will take meticulously take everything they can get.

Paul, Just across the river in Benton, the company I work for had some electrical cable stored on a trailer. It was in the process of being moved to a new location. Over one weekend, someone cut the lock on the gate, hooked onto the trailer and made off with it.
  Luck was not on their side however. When they burned the casing off the wires that same day, someone called them in for illegal burning. Cops showed up, noticed the company trailer with all the markings still on it. I do believe they went for a ride.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 05:53:44 AM »
Maybe we should not cut the grass at all and just cut the small bushes and trees every Four or Five years. Would there be a fire hazard doing that using the steam engine?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 08:22:58 PM »
I guess we can use the North section of Davis Grade as an experiment. It was never cut last year. I think in the spring we could take a metal bladed trimmer and cut the bushes from the year before
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »
  Fred,  I was viewing your new sign on the row very interesting really like the construction.  BOD, could take James idea of landscaping, then buy a tractor with bushhog and front end loader (mid size) would provide not only row cutting, but other uses as well.  Thanks for all your time and effort.    Fred L. Kuhns

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 12:10:58 AM »
Steam, the first thing I thought when I saw this thread was, "Don't they have a chain gang in Maine?" Jailhouse guests here in Georgia get lots of outdoor exercise under the close supervision of a guy wearing sunglasses and carrying a 12 gauge shotgun. One would think that as a non profit the WW&F would qualify for a crew of trusties from a nearby state prison. Goats are good at getting rid of undergrowth. I wouldn't use cows. A couple of weeks ago I was taking some parts off a donor car for my project car when a herd of cattle ran over to see what was going on. A couple of them stuck their heads in the driver's side window. One slobbered all over my seat then grabbed my keys off the seat and took off. I found them in the high grass after chasing the wrong cow. Then, one cow crapped in front of the wheel I was taking off and I repeatedly kicked my pull handle (I couldn't get in front of the tire, obviously) off center and sent it into the pasture pie.
Jock Ellis

Eric Larsen

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 06:54:45 PM »
The ROW is now mowed from 218 to Trout Brook.  The low spots need filling with gravel as they are worse than before.  Is there any chance of doing this and also putung a culvert in just near the curve as we head toward the brook?