Author Topic: Track Expansion for both ends of the railroad ideas.  (Read 6690 times)

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
Track Expansion for both ends of the railroad ideas.
« on: October 23, 2012, 01:22:14 PM »
I looked up the Museum track on Google Map  I know I have a tendency of come up with a lot of ideas that are always equal to many things that would require lots of money to make these ideas become a reality but one of these two ideas I will tell you might sound like it wont be that much money as my second option will be. Here is my first idea. So far the museum track only runs Hancock St and I notice that their is enough room to extend the line a little bit south towards Maine State Pier St with what looks like enough space to build a run around track there. My second idea is the ridicules idea that what if the open swing bridge was restored and train were able to cross the bridge to downtown Portland on the other side. Does any railroad uses the tracks on that side of the river because I see another run around track behind Presumpscot St behind a place called "Richard P Waltz Plumbing & Heating" at what appears to be a gain silo or something. It would be a great place to turn the locomotive around there if this fare fetch idea could be possible with lots of money but is that standard gauge track still in revenue service?  ???
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Track Expansion for both ends of the railroad ideas.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 02:46:03 PM »
The land you are looking at near Hancock Street for extension is owned by one of two entities: the City of Portland, or the State of Maine.  Where it's near the "Maine State Pier" I tend to think it's owned by the State. 

Beyond the swing bridge the standard gauge railroad is still in place and serves the B&M Baked Bean factory.  I believe the ROW here is also owned by the State, but it's an active railroad (active maybe a few times a week).  The city of Portland beyond that point is mainly residential neighborhoods.  The Portland downtown is really considered to be the whole peninsula that MNG is on - there was a plan at one point to circle around the peninsula and head back along I-295 into town.

I think as long as MNG is looking to relocate to Gray, neither option is happening.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »
Does anybody know about the location of where the museum might go if they move to Gray, I want to find that location on Google map. Plus thanks James for the info, I just did not know that they were still interest on moving to Gray or not but now I know for certain.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:45:26 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:30:42 PM »
A recent talk with one of the principals of the MNGM indicated that  the Gray move is on hold for a number of reasons, the main one being lack of funds.

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 05:26:15 PM »
The land you are looking at near Hancock Street for extension is owned by one of two entities: the City of Portland, or the State of Maine.  Where it's near the "Maine State Pier" I tend to think it's owned by the State. 

Both answers are actually correct. The right of way, as it exists on the map, is owned by the state from the end of track at Hancock Street to India Street. From India Street to Franklin Street is owned by the city.

In theory, we could extend our tracks down to India street, but that would involve cutting in a crossing at the terminal.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:22:50 PM »
The active standard gauge railroad operation from Lewiston Jct. to B&M plant in East Deering is generally once per week w/one car each way.  The ROW is owned by the state for future passenger use.
At one point, Portland Trails was interested in extending their trail system over the swing span  - - not sure where this stands at present.   

Hansel Gordon

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:29:42 PM »
Putting in another runaround would be a waste of time since MNG isn't allowed to do runarounds on regular trains. It part of the Standard Operating Proceedure the Superintendent came up with.

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »
The runarounds were nixed due to the inconvenient location of the eastern runaround.  If the eastern runaround were located at a Franklin St. stop as it were before the ocean gateway project, runarounds would most likely be re-instated as standard operating procedure.  but, the current location adds another stop on an already short trip, and thus lowers the visitors experience.
A spike saved is a spike earned.