Author Topic: Forum Issues  (Read 13961 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Forum Issues
« on: May 02, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »
Apparently there was a forum issue today, with some people receiving database or SQL errors.

It appears to be resolved as of this time (hence my ability to post this message!).

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Forum Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:56:43 PM »
And a big THANK YOU to James for fixing it so quickly!
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »
On Sunday morning Dave B discovered the forum had been hacked into somehow.  He alerted Ed, and Ed shut the place down and replaced it with a temporary webpage.

Once I found out about it I looked around and everything else seemed to be fine.  I changed the password to the website just in case. 

I've brought the forum back up, we'll see if anything further happens to it.

Thanks to Dave and Ed for their quick work!

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:03:53 AM »
Thanks to James for checking things out and resetting the forum. I was tied up all day Sunday and Monday with family commitments and was delighted that James found some time to get things checked out and back up and running so quickly.

This morning, I found that we were behind on one of the security updates for the forum software. However, it was warning that it may not apply correctly; I applied the update anyway. It claimed to be successful and the forum looks like it is still working properly. Please let James or me know if something seems to be awry.

After applying the security update, I found an additional setting to further deter hackers. I turned that on.

Hopefully, between these two changes, and the new password, we won't be visited by a hacker again.

Thanks for your patience during the outage.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:59:44 AM »
The event certainly reminded me how much I enjoy it, as being Forum-less was tough!

-John

Dan Shelley

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 10:36:47 AM »
Hey guys, hope all have a great Thanksgiving.

Question_Is there a way to change the way I (we) see the post listing order, such as most recent at the top?  That is within the subjects not the main forum message board.

Dan

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »
Yes, click on the "Last Post" column header to sort by date (within a section.)

Personally, I use "Show unread posts since last visit." at the top of the window - this gives me an indication of everything new that I haven't read yet. (Truth be told, that is my browser home page.)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum