Author Topic: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread  (Read 552958 times)

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2010, 06:59:39 PM »
As for enhancements- we're looking for a bit more width to handle drivers, and a bit more tonnage to assemble some driver applications.  Usually it takes a lot more tonnage to remove than to apply a press fit- so while we're hoping to be able to remove press fits- we're not holding our breath.  

We've got a design worked up for the width extension, as well as a potential manner in which auxiliary jacks could add 40 tons to the press.  I'm currently going through the mechanical design of both the additions and the existing structural parts to see if we can safely get away with this- we won't be able to get the 100 tons at full width that I was hoping for (36" clearance to clear a 33" drive wheel tire with flanges)- but 60 tons will work at this width.  A wheel no more than 28" diameter (this is the wheel center diameter for No 9 and No 11) will allow for 100 tons.  This is preliminary- so don't shoot me if I go in Saturday and declare that the math won't allow for this work.  

Several parts will need to be made- mostly of 1" X 6" Bar.  The final product will be very handy as it will sit horizontally, with the legs side by side, so the crane (which is right over it) can easily drop a wheelset right in.  The press can then be screwed up or down to match whatever wheelset is in there.  

Since Gordon figured out what this thing is- I've gotten an appreciation for its historical value.  We don't want to do anything that will harm or modify the original machine.  We don't want to over-pressurize the cylinder or excessively load the wings cast into it.  

Our immediate need is to remove No 9's drive wheels from the axles- this press project, while valuable, might not be speedy enough for that need, so we may find an alternate method.  This weekend will tell us more...

Jason
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:37:07 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2010, 07:50:57 PM »
I think you'll find, the way the pump is designed, it will take many pumps to build one PSI. This was not designed for speed, but going slow with little pressure increases everytime may be the way to go, and hopefully something can be seen going wrong before it actually does. Going to be something to see when it's working again.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2010, 08:40:47 PM »
Thanks to Gordon and Jason for their explanations of this machine. I helped unload it in the rain a couple of years ago, thinking at the time it was some sort of portable wheel press. Actually, what's often referred to as a wheel press is actually an axle press. Having helped and operated a full size wheel press, I might suggest that this machine may, just may, have the power to remove wheels. If the wheel is heated a bit, it may expand enough to allow the axle to be moved, and once it starts moving, it will keep going, right out of the wheel center. And as Jason notes, it's often easier to seat a new wheel or axle than move the old.

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »
I think somewere I saw a discussion about removing axels from wheels and it was mention that it is best to remove the tire first as this releaces some compression on the axel hole. But I guess you guys already know about that.

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »
I think somewere I saw a discussion about removing axels from wheels and it was mention that it is best to remove the tire first as this releaces some compression on the axel hole. But I guess you guys already know about that.
I think it may have been rypn.org. If I remember rightly it was 25 to 50 percent more pressure required if you didn't remove the tire.
Mike Nix
Mike Nix

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »
Hi Folks,

Just an update on No 9 machine work- to clarify this discussion on axles.  I thought I had mentioned somewhere about the axles being found with cracks by UT in December.  With that we were gearing up to replace both of them- no small task considering the critical nature of locating the keys for proper quartering and eccentrics after the axles were machined.  We proceeded to buy material- a 6ft piece just for No 9 cost pretty near the same as a 20 ft piece- so we got the latter, with No 11 in mind.  Subsequent to that- with some experience at BRV, we had some reason to question the initial UT results- mainly in that there was no discussion with the technician about the various keyways and other changes in geometry along the length of the axle which could affect results.  This entire scenario also applied to BRV's SD Warren Baldwin 0-4-0, which they are working at down there; it's axles were also found to have cracks by UT. 

With this- we loaded all 4 wheelsets onto BRV's trailer and took them to the testing company's lab so the top guy could check.  After checking every axle and crank in multiple ways- he concluded that there were no flaws, and proceeded to explain why the error had occurred the first time.  We are grateful to him for saving us all a lot of work.  Of course, we are grateful to BRV for the transportation and splitting the visit with us. 

At this point- the material for new axles, along with material for No 11's lead truck axle (also planned), had already been sent south with Ed Gilhouley, on its way to Bruce's place.  With the change in plans, and Bruce's complete flexibility (thanks, Bruce), we switched gears and added No 11's crank pins to the list. 

So this message is mainly to clear up those details in case anyone is confused by the tidbits floating around.  And great work, Bruce!

Jason

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2010, 06:38:12 AM »
Hello all,

Just backing up the No 9 day I mentioned in the other thread for this Saturday, Sept. 18, 2010, and creating a dedicated work thread for it.  As mentioned- work will focus on rivet hole drilling and smokebox mounting, hopefully to allow for a Great Big Riveting Shin-Dig in a month or two.

see ya
Jason
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:37:44 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2010, 01:10:30 PM »
Now that the steam operations are over and the days are getting shorter and cooler; I wonder if any work is starting up again on the #9?

The front of the locomotive and the smoke box was the last thing I heard mentioned here on the discussion board.

Will it be possible to reuse the steam and sand domes from the original boiler on the new one?

Has the new section of frame for the front of the locomotive been completed?

Thanks for the updates!

Ted Miles

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
From what I saw over the past weekend there was a fair amount of work being performed on #9.  Marcel and a 2nd person were stripping down the cab to bare wood and he took the time to give several people a detailed history on the locomotive and its adventures through the years.  Gordon, Jason and others moved the underframe out of the machine shop into the new section of track 2 and with the suggestions of a new member who had rigging experience at Bath Iron Works, the frame was carefully flipped upside down so additional inspection and work could be done. 
I'm sure someone far more qualified than myself could provide accurate details on the project's status.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2010, 09:20:46 AM »
Hello,

Planning on working on No 9's smokebox project this Saturday, November 20, 2010.  Once again it'll be hole drilling, smokebox mounting, more hole drilling. 

Thanks,
Jason

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2010, 12:40:46 PM »
Pictures from Saturday... tune in next time for drilling and riveting!

Leon provides downward pressure on the drill...

bolting up the original cinder blowout fitting onto the new smokebox...

Stewart hoists, while Noah helps guide the smokebox into position...

snugly coupled together, waiting for rivets...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:36:02 AM by Stephen Hussar »

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »
Do I see a row of rivits along the top centerline of the smokebox? Just wondering how the stack will interface with these if in fact they are on the Centerline.
Also wondering if since the frame rails are seperated if there is any thought to making a tracing of one, assuming they are identical, to be used as a pattern should a replacement ever be required. (Rick Sisson suggestion)
Will the frames being seperated allow for machining the area where the new casting will be attached? I understand this area has been "hand worked" up to this time.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »
I believe the smokestack sits behind that short row of rivets...and the headlight about where the rivets are.

Stephen

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »
What is the item being drilled and bolted up?

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2010, 05:47:25 AM »
Oh that? That's the "ash cleanout blowout thingy"  ;)