Author Topic: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread  (Read 472428 times)

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #810 on: December 15, 2015, 03:52:37 PM »
If memory serves correctly Moody wasn't a big fan of the WW&F or the B&SR.

Yeah, it's clear in The Maine Two-Footers that he felt mistreated by Frank Winter during his (very brief) employment as Supt. of the WW&F, and he seems to imply the railroad had been mismanaged from the start.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 15, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »
two flatcars of coal, a boxcar and a coach and *poof* Kennebec Central photo freight.

But wouldn't the boxcar have to be painted gray?

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 15, 2015, 06:23:58 PM »
Quote from: Joe Fox on December 15, 2015, 01:39:53 PM
If memory serves correctly Moody wasn't a big fan of the WW&F or the B&SR.

Let's not split hairs.  You know Moody would enjoy seeing any of the 2-footers partially rebuilt and the #9 running again!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:18:58 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Terry Harper

• Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 16, 2015, 06:11:25 PM »
I can't help it! I keep going back and looking at the photos.....  ;D

Considering the quality and quantity of work done I am thinking a classic builders photo is in order - complete with blocked out background. Or, if possible, a photo with the whole restoration crew.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 16, 2015, 06:25:32 PM »
Funny you should mention, both are planned!

See ya
Jason

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 18, 2015, 03:45:08 PM »
If a KC train is to be simulated, with flat cars loaded with coal, shouldn't the Civil War vets be loaded, too? Just channeling Moody.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 18, 2015, 06:46:56 PM »
If a KC train is to be simulated, with flat cars loaded with coal, shouldn't the Civil War vets be loaded, too? Just channeling Moody.

Not much left of the vets to load.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 18, 2015, 10:21:16 PM »
Especially if they get loaded too often.

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 22, 2015, 06:21:06 PM »
I wanted to personally comment on 9's return after a few days of contemplation of Saturday's activities and after droo.... looking at all the great pictures.

First thing, I think all of us who are regulars at the museum or here on-line understand and appreciate the (choose your favorite ultimate complement) effort that occurs on a regular basis there in Sheepscot.

But most of all, as a practicing engineer for too many years, my admiration for the patience, knowledge, dedication and passion of Jason continues to grow. Acknowledging that he has had the good fortune of a cast of supporting characters who are amazing, the reality is that bringing this type of project to a successful fruition is not just technical skill and obsession, but requires the maturity, confidence, and ability to work with a range of people of all skill levels, and to manage budgets, competing priorities, and changing course when appropriate that one finds very rarely, even at the highest altitudes of corporate structures.

Personally, having visited Ramsdell farm in about 1965 with my high school sweetie (proof is in the archives!), it has not yet penetrated my jaded and gray old head that I was actually at the throttle of 9 in 2015. Fifty years. My kids and grand kids in the cab with me. I think that about sums it up for a lot of us. 

What else can one say? From reading Moody's book over and over as a teenager, to adult with family and personal loss.... to Saturday.  I never would have been able to imagine.

Thanks to Alice, Frank, Dale, Harry, Jason, the list goes on. I, WE, are lucky to be able to have this small pleasure in what sometimes isn't so pleasurable a life.

Gawdon

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 22, 2015, 07:04:06 PM »
I wanted to personally comment on 9's return after a few days of contemplation of Saturday's activities and after droo.... looking at all the great pictures.

First thing, I think all of us who are regulars at the museum or here on-line understand and appreciate the (choose your favorite ultimate complement) effort that occurs on a regular basis there in Sheepscot.

But most of all, as a practicing engineer for too many years, my admiration for the patience, knowledge, dedication and passion of Jason continues to grow. Acknowledging that he has had the good fortune of a cast of supporting characters who are amazing, the reality is that bringing this type of project to a successful fruition is not just technical skill and obsession, but requires the maturity, confidence, and ability to work with a range of people of all skill levels, and to manage budgets, competing priorities, and changing course when appropriate that one finds very rarely, even at the highest altitudes of corporate structures.

Personally, having visited Ramsdell farm in about 1965 with my high school sweetie (proof is in the archives!), it has not yet penetrated my jaded and gray old head that I was actually at the throttle of 9 in 2015. Fifty years. My kids and grand kids in the cab with me. I think that about sums it up for a lot of us. 

What else can one say? From reading Moody's book over and over as a teenager, to adult with family and personal loss.... to Saturday.  I never would have been able to imagine.

Thanks to Alice, Frank, Dale, Harry, Jason, the list goes on. I, WE, are lucky to be able to have this small pleasure in what sometimes isn't so pleasurable a life.

So, as it so happens, I finally managed to put my small donation into the mail today for the annual fund drive.  I struggled to answer well the two questions the long range planning committee posed in the mailing.

I think Gordon captured much of what I had hoped to write if words didn't fail me.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

- Bill
What–me worry?

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 22, 2015, 09:36:39 PM »
Gordon has summed up so well my thoughts.

The character of Jason, with a wonderful cast of supporting actors, has made this an award winning production.

The proof steams on.

My congratulations and thanks.

Ira Schreiber

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 23, 2015, 09:45:08 AM »
Thank you Gordon and everyone for your kind words.  I see my place as to channel and coordinate resources and volunteer effort, which you acknowledged; that means however that it took all of us to actually pull this off.   From volunteers who put in 2 days a week for years down to volunteers who gave the project a weekend.  Even our paid vendors also deserve a nod for giving the project the attention that we feel it deserves.  Truly- I hope everyone in the organization is proud of this accomplishment.

I never realized (or don't remember you telling me) that you got to visit No 9 as a kid, Gordon.  What a fabulous story, and how appropriate; thank you for sharing!

Merry Christmas everyone,
Jason
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:20:27 AM by Ed Lecuyer »

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 24, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »
Almost forgot to thank the "steam crew" for the 1lb Hershey bar for Christmas... Thank you!!!

See ya
Jason

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Ry.
« Reply #823 on: December 25, 2015, 12:35:53 PM »
1 lb!  boy that is a treat that will spike ur blood sugar.  Go SLOW! :o

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 25, 2015, 02:57:56 PM »
I meant to mention a couple of weeks ago:

Credit to Bernie and Wayne, who went through the Sunbeam turbo a few years ago.  31.86 volts.

Merry Christmas!
Jason