Author Topic: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread  (Read 556160 times)

Marcel Levesque

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #315 on: October 30, 2013, 09:14:16 AM »
At the time I began working on the roof it was covered with very thin strips of canvas with an orange coating and was worn thru on a large portion of one corner.  In the process of seperating the roof from the verticals the attachement bolts had a thin layer of tin underneath the washers.  I could not see any remnants of paint on any of that metal, but I believe when the loco was built the roof was painted a shade of red oxide but again I am not sure of that.  If anyone has any accurate info please jump in.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 30, 2013, 12:04:36 PM »
At the time I began working on the roof it was covered with very thin strips of canvas with an orange coating and was worn thru on a large portion of one corner.  In the process of seperating the roof from the verticals the attachement bolts had a thin layer of tin underneath the washers.  I could not see any remnants of paint on any of that metal, but I believe when the loco was built the roof was painted a shade of red oxide but again I am not sure of that.  If anyone has any accurate info please jump in.
From what I have seen on other locomotives from a similar era...I would guess (note this is just a guess) that the roof was covered with stretched canvas painted with red oxide. But.....no matter what color it starts out, a trip or two up the line and it will be black...
Keith

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 30, 2013, 07:34:31 PM »
Based on some of the engines I've worked on over the years the progression went from painted wood, to stretched canvas that was painted and sealed over wood, to painted sheet tin over wood, to finally steel sheet with a wood interior under-layer.  What time period we wish to replicate would govern the type of roofing finish we apply to the engine.  Since we are replicating early 20th Century railroading I would recommend wood (sealed) with an adhesive top coat followed by stretched heavy canvas and topped with a really good iron oxide based paint.  I would suggest a "marine" grade to better handle the elements over time.
Moxie Bootlegger

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 30, 2013, 07:48:13 PM »
We have a constraint in the lease for Number 9 in that it must look like it did when it was on the WW&F, for those 6 months in 1933.  This includes the cab.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 30, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »
But -- does anyone know exactly what No. 9 looked like and what color it was during its WW&F days? All the photos are black and white, and I don't think any show the cab roof in any detail. As Keith noted above, after a handful of trips on our line, the cab roof will be black no matter what color it gets painted.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #320 on: November 05, 2013, 07:09:11 PM »
Jason asked me to post this video, taken today, showing the progress being made on the quartering of #9's crank pins.
http://youtu.be/C46HkS29VmM

Lookin' good!
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 05, 2013, 07:16:14 PM »
Boy that runs well ... like clock work.  Kind of reminds me of the motorized tuning assembly on my Zenith radio.  I hope there will be video of the quartering machine turning the crank pins. 

Start

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 05, 2013, 07:33:48 PM »
Well, one good turn deserves another.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 05, 2013, 07:36:52 PM »
As groans are heard across the valley ..............
Moxie Bootlegger

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 16, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »
Quartering machine in action.

http://youtu.be/kuX9uFQeA6o
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 16, 2013, 08:52:45 PM »
Some pictures.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 20, 2013, 08:57:13 AM »
I believe on Saturday (Nov 16) 4 cuts each being .006 in. were made. Controlling the machine's speed is difficult, you might have noticed the speed variation in Brendan's video, as the air motor speed is controlled by turning the handle to which the air supply in connected. The handle apparently doesn't have position (speed) stops. Perhaps a valve can be installed in the air supply line and be used to regulate the speed. Also some long small allen wrenches would make cutter installation and adjustment much easier than using the fold up wrenches we used on Saturday. But the machine worked very well and it is fastenating to watch in action first hand. It is quite an accomplishment to have built the machine and now having it working so well.
Paul C.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 20, 2013, 11:48:46 AM »
Jonathan and I were able to work past both of those issues on Monday.  Realizing the machine could handle a higher cutting speed, we ran the air motor faster- the handle is must less sensitive at higher speeds and therefore easier to control.  Each cut took about 10 minutes after this change.  Also, we replaced the socket head SET screws with socket head CAP screws to hold the tool- this brought the Allen wrench size from 0.050" to 3/32".  We also bought a long t handled Allen wrench- tool adjustment is now worlds easier.

We finished the first pin Monday.  We'll do a little better than one pin per day.

See ya
Jason

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 20, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »
We finished the first pin Monday.  We'll do a little better than one pin per day.

How many pins do you plan to do?

-John

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 20, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »

How many pins do you plan to do?

-John
All of them! (4)

Keith