Author Topic: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread  (Read 552955 times)

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #240 on: February 19, 2013, 09:26:56 AM »
Don't forget respiratory protection and forced ventilation!

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 19, 2013, 01:18:34 PM »
Tank report. Everything that needed to come off the tank is removed. Most of the external needle scaling was finished this weekend. Holes were drilled through the tank sheets to check for sheet thickness in suspect areas, the worst spots still have plenty of sheet thickness. The holes will be welded back up later. You can see from James picture we cut an access hole into the top of the tank to clean the inside out. We cleaned the side of the tank by the access hole out and then took out the internal braces to reach the other side. There is still 4 small braces up in the water legs to come out and then a couple areas need to be needle scaled before sandblasting. One 5 gallon pail of rust and mouse nest was removed.

Tank braces installed.

Without cross braces

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 19, 2013, 04:46:35 PM »
Tanks for your effort and report.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 19, 2013, 04:49:55 PM »
Here is a picture of Brendan in the tank cutting the braces and one showing the tank floor after the braces were removed.

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 19, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »
A good part of Saturday was spent getting the Drivers back under #9. This required that the front of the locomotive be raised and much of the supporting cribbing be repositioned and fitted so as to provide good support. But at the end of the day the drivers were under #9 and on the rails. GHopefully it won't be too long before the locomotive is lowered onto the drivers and thus back on its feet.

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 19, 2013, 05:01:34 PM »
Also accomplished was the drilling out of the casting for the installation of the two front wash out plugs. Once cut the holes required some rework inorder to provide clearance for when the boiler expands.  

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 19, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »
Additionally Jason and others worked on the fit up of the shoes and wedges for the drivers. This picture was taken while the work was in progress. I had to leave Monday early afternoon so do not know if the fit up was completed. You can also see I need to learn how to make my pictures show smaller in size. But I feel it's a major accomplishment I got the uploaded to photobucket (although not wher I wanted) and was able to post them to the forum.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 19, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »
Thanks to Paul, Brendan, James and Mike for their reports and the great photos. I can hardly wait for April to see the progress in person, and I trust there will be plenty between now and then! Good job, one and all.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2013, 06:14:25 PM »
Monday evening the front pilot beam was bolted to #9 to help mock up the locations of various brackets for hole drilling in the smokebox. The beam has to come back off we didn't have all the hardware to attach the beam permanently but the front end looked a little more complete. The cab steps were bolted to the frame and the back steps were straightened out to bolt on. Steve P. was still working when I left and believe he was going to do more today.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 19, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »
Steve P. worked on #9 all day today.  One job was drilling the holes for the clean out cover on the smokebox.   This is the port and lid on the enginemans' side where you put the rod when sparking the engine.  I think Steve will post a report when he gets home.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:59:25 PM by Stewart Rhine »

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2013, 09:14:52 AM »
After my arrival late Sunday afternoon, I spent about an hour going over work the work that had transpired earlier in the day and on Saturday.
Monday Morning I began die grinding the access hole for the washout plug on the fireman's side of the boiler.  This consumed a most of the morning.
Following an excellent lunch, JB and I measured drilled and installed the cab stirrups.  Milo provided encouragement.  I began to work on the stirrups at the rear of the locomotive.  Finding them to be out of square, Brendan and I heated them with the rosebud torch and made some adjustments.  Interestingly, the next day I found punch marks on all of the stirrup bends from when they were first forged.  The torch burnt all of the paint and dirt out of them, making them very obvious.  As mentioned below, Brendan and I put up the pilot beam temporarily to measure for the smokebox braces.   Monday night I laid out and wrote procedures for drilling the ash cleanout casting on the smokebox, smokebox-pilot braces, and the rear stirrups.  I also located Dave Crow's punch marks for the handrail stanchions and marker light bracket.
Tuesday I proceeded to drill the previously marked holes to the proper dimensions using the mag drill.  The ash cleanout casting and marker light bracket were both temporarily installed.  Jason stopped by to discuss the progress Tuesday afternoon, and it was decided to replicate a smokebox patch on the firman's side of the locomotive.  This patch is necessary because it maintains the dimensions of the original smokebox and will prevent the need to make modifications to the both the smokebox-pilot brace and the front running board bracket.  It also maintains the historical character of the locomotive while it operated on the WW&F.  I spent the remainder of Tuesday evening measuring and producing this patch.  It was rough fit by Tuesday evening, although it will still require some grinding and adjustment.  It also will need holes located and drilled before the patch is fitted.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 05, 2013, 09:10:47 AM »
Some pictures from Monday.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 05, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »
Thanks for the photos Brendan,

We set the forward pair of drivers.  Took a bit of lifting and repositioning to get them in the frame pockets and get the wedges in.  The binders need a little work on the T bolt holes, then they can to go on.   After the front binders are set we can jack the rear drivers in place.

Stewart 

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 05, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »
Nice Work!

Somehow, I was expecting the locomotive to come down, rather than the drivers to go up.  I suppose the benefit of this arrangement would be if any adjustments need to be made, you need only raise and lower 1 set of drivers rather than the entire locomotive.

Steve

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 05, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »
Hi Steve,

There's a lot more control lifting the drivers up into the frame. Brendan made the wheel lift assembly and four of us, (one per jack) lifted together so we could keep the wheelset level and guide the driving boxes into the shoes and wedges.  This protected the brass from damage.  When both driver sets are in, springs and hangers can be installed, then the locomotive will be lowered to the rails.

Stewart