Author Topic: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread  (Read 553058 times)

Eric Schade

• Operating Volunteers
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #225 on: January 05, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »
jason at the lathe (...er i mean mill) machining journals last month:

one of the eccentric straps:

one of the drive wheel sets (front engineers side I think):

old work---repaired crank:

the eccentrics between the rear drivers:

date stamped on the tire of one of the drivers.  several tires were so dated each with a different day.

today I spent some time sanding the tire edge and the counterweights as well as scraping some old paint and gunk off around the spokes and other nooks and crannies.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:52:27 AM by Eric Schade »
Eric Schade, Phippsburg, Maine

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 05, 2013, 02:45:27 PM »
Tiny correction...that is not a lathe Jason is running, it is a vertical milling machine.
 :)
Keith

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2013, 11:15:27 AM »
Has the boiler been fired up yet? Also, not sure if it was answered, but as far as lubrication goes, what types of specialized greases and oils are used on the steam locomotives?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2013, 07:28:54 PM »
Kevin Madore was down for Victorian Christmas and has recently posted this photo to Railpictures that he took that day.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=420473&nseq=2
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #229 on: January 14, 2013, 09:32:24 AM »
Jonathan St. Mary asked me to post:

For the past couple of weeks, we have been concentrating on getting the crown brasses fitted to the journals on the driver axles.  One brass had to be completely replaced, and the other three rebored.  Once the machining is done, the individual brasses are hand scraped to fit their particular journal.  After fitting, each box must have its sides machined flat and parallel, so that the box will slide up and down in the frame bearings without binding.  The picture shows the set-up used to machine the sides of the boxes.  One side is machined flat, then the box is flipped over, and the second side made parallel to the first. 

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 14, 2013, 10:30:54 PM »
Jonathan and Ed, thank you very much for the pictures of milling the driving boxes.

Jonathan, the photos have triggered a couple of questions I hope you or Jason can answer:

About how wide is the scraper used to scrape the brasses, or if more than one width is used, what's the range?

In the turning and burnishing of the driving axle journals, how much was the diameter reduced?

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »
During the past weekend progress forged ahead on several projects regarding #9.  Saturday saw Jason and Gordon occupied with running gear calculations.  Wes was occupied on the lathe making up bearings for the equalizers.  My father (who after several years has finally had his first visit) And I began by grinding a flat surface on the transitional casting at a 45 degree angle to the frame.  This was in preparation for drilling holes so that the washout plugs could pass through the casting.
Sunday work continued on this front along with grinding several bolt heads flush with the surface of the forward frame to avoid clearance issues with the drive wheels.  A point of historical interest occurred on Sunday when I asked my dad to go out and measure the old frames for locating the stirrup steps into the cab.  He returned noting there were two sets of holes on each side which would have worked for the stirrups.  I sumissed that the steps must have been moved at some point.  Sure enough Jason confirmed Monday that after the locomotive was wrecked on the Sandy River, the cab was rebuilt with the doors and hence the stirrups moved back several inches.
Monday saw the pilot backing plate leveled and centered.  Holes were then drilled and tapped in the forward frame for this.  The plate was temporarily installed pending final installation along with the pilot beam.  Jonathan and Jason were busy at work in the Machine shop on driving boxes.  Josh was also working throughout the weekend on recreating #9's electrical system.
Thanks to everyone for a great weekend.  It looks like we may have found another volunteer in my father, who claims his favorite bit of work was cutting and burning Saturday Morning.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Stephen --

Thanks very much for that detailed report of your work over the past weekend. I enjoyed it very much. Glad to know you've gotten your dad interested in helping out. I was never able to make my father understand my enjoyment of such activities, even though he was a skilled maintenance machinist.

Wayne Laepple

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2013, 04:06:14 PM »
Monday, I worked for a couple of hours on parts for Ichabod. Johnathan was milling #9's bearing boxes, and I noticed this was done Saturday, presumably by Eric Schade.

Mike

Eric Schade

• Operating Volunteers
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2013, 03:39:48 PM »
my hands are still that black color! ;D
Eric Schade, Phippsburg, Maine

Dan Shelley

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 03, 2013, 07:18:01 PM »
Jason, the guys at OCC won't know how to use little lone start it. Great work

Eric, Great work on the wheel paint job. Gasoline will clean your hands up nicely.

Thanks guys for all the great progress photos

Dan

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 03, 2013, 09:04:23 PM »
Jason, the guys at OCC won't know how to use little lone start it.
?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 18, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »
"There's a hole in my bucket dear Liza..."

Since nobody can fit into the hole in the tank anymore, Brendan and company made a larger hole in the top of the tank - see picture below.  They then removed the cross braces that they could reach.  There's more in the wings.  Somebody gets to crawl in the hole and needle scale it.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 18, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »
Somebody gets to crawl in the hole and needle scale it.

Double hearing protection will be needed inside there. Imagine the echo. Wow.
Mike

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 18, 2013, 08:23:01 PM »
You can wrap a packing blanket around the sides to cut down the vibration/noise a bit.