Author Topic: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread  (Read 472138 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2009, 09:22:38 PM »
Thanks for the pics Mike.  The new boiler looks like a Portland Company product with the domes installed.

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2009, 09:47:27 PM »
 Jason,  If the smokebox with its related items are installed on the boiler in November, will that mean the next step is to finish the frame so that it can be added to the boiler?        Thanks    Fred L. kuhns.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2009, 10:06:40 PM »
Hello all,

The project can be thought of in two subdivisions now- frame work and boiler work.  I hope we can carry these on simultaneously, to some degree anyway, through the winter and spring.  The frame, including assembly, cylinder work, and running gear work, is by far the larger of the two.  It's fair to say the frame will not be ready for the boiler until well into next year.

The boiler work, which for now will remain the focus of the work days, includes smokebox repair and installation, and the application of a myriad of mounting brackets on the boiler.  Most mounting brackets will require some modification to fit around the fillet welds attaching the studs to the new boiler.

This weekend's work will focus on smokebox repair- if things go very well we may get to fitting it by the end of the day.

Work should be well underway by 8:30 am. 

Thanks,
Jason

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2009, 11:48:06 AM »
Photo taken 11-21-09

No 9's new boiler waits patiently alongside, while the liner is removed from the original smokebox...

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:01:58 PM by Stephen Hussar »

Bill Fortier

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2009, 04:38:45 PM »
Some shots of the smokebox before work got underway:

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
How "original" is the smoke box? In other words, was it replaced at some point by the SR&RL or KC?
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Fortier

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2009, 06:19:09 PM »
How "original" is the smoke box? In other words, was it replaced at some point by the SR&RL or KC?

Barring some sort of calamity, wouldn't a smokebox be capable of several decades of service?

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2009, 06:29:02 PM »
Honestly, I doubt the KC or WW&F had any money to spare on smokebox repairs..
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2009, 06:56:59 PM »
I agree with Vincent. The only place it would have been able to be replaced would have been on the SR&RL. KC and WW&F would not have invested the time or money to do something like that. Just quick repairs, like can be seen in Bills Photos, and with the patch being cut out in Stephens pic. Interesting, some of the repairs they made, as can be seen in Bills 3rd photo with the welded patch on the outside. Character marks.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2009, 11:37:30 PM »
There was some mention of a "smokebox liner" earlier in this thread.  Would that be that piece inside the lower front of the smokebox that's best illustrated in the middle photo of Bill Fortier's?   

Bruce Mowbray

• Gandy Dancer
  • Just Another Day On The Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2009, 10:02:55 AM »
Bill,
 Yes, you are correct. Liners are put into areas of the smoke box and or boilers to increase strength of a sheet. Usually they are used when a large hole (saddle or dome holes)  or many holes (such as staybolt sleeve holes) are put into a sheet. The liner will make up for the "missing" material. In the case of the liner in the #9 smoke box, that area of the smoke box is often cinder cut and ends up being worn pretty thin. A liner is often placed there as a replaceable piece. I am surprised that the liner does not go back to the area where the saddle bolts up. This is often a week spot where a strengthening liner would come into play. I may be wrong, but it looks like a crack radiating out from one of the corners of the saddle opening. Perhaps it would be a consideration to extend the liner back to cover this area.

Bruce Mowbray
Springville, PA

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2009, 12:10:33 PM »
Thanks, Bruce! Here are a few more pictures from the shop...

Dana and Leon tweaking the mixture...

Bob Gabriel grinding away on the liner...

David Fletcher on the big drill press...

Jonathan St Mary re-building the Brookville's transmission...

Bill Fortier

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2009, 01:13:15 PM »
I am surprised that the liner does not go back to the area where the saddle bolts up. This is often a week spot where a strengthening liner would come into play. I may be wrong, but it looks like a crack radiating out from one of the corners of the saddle opening. Perhaps it would be a consideration to extend the liner back to cover this area.

There appears to be a doubler ("liner" was throwing me for a while there) bolted to the outside of the smokebox in that area. Are there any pictures of the interior before the saddle was removed?

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2009, 03:49:32 PM »
Hello,

I'll be at Sheepscot this Saturday, Dec. 12, to continue on No. 9.  This is short notice I know- I'll also figure Sat. Dec. 19 a work day, as a second priority behind crewing Christmas trains.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet here, but we've decided to replace the smokebox.  After last session's exploratory surgery, we've concluded that patching the original to an acceptable level would leave too little of it to be worth saving.  About the top 1/4 could be used, and within that area, a patch would be needed where the stack attaches.  The box was originally 5/16"; half way up the circle it is only about 3/16" thick.  Removing this area would remove much of the original character that we were hoping to save.  We plan to cosmetically restore it and re-attach it to the original boiler- possibly re-riveting.

The new smokebox of 3/8" material arrived today, along with another 1/2 circle of 3/8 plate, and the smokebox to boiler ring.  The smokebox front ring is coming next week.  The new smokebox will be butt-riveted (per the original design, believe it or not), with all attachments riveted.  The second half-circle will be the outside (visible) liner.  This prep work will be the focus of the upcoming sessions. 

We are in the planning stages of making new axles- and should be on to that shortly. 

Hope to see some of you there on one of the next two Saturdays for No 9!

Jason

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2009, 11:55:58 PM »
  Jason,  The news that the old smoke box is to be retured to the old boiler is great.  The old boiler and smoke box will make a great exhibit in the new visitors center / museum.  A way to explain the building of the new number 9's boiler and smoke box, plus saving a part of history.      Fred L. Kuhns