Author Topic: February 2012 work planning  (Read 12709 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
February 2012 work planning
« on: February 01, 2012, 07:09:30 AM »
Anticipated work for Feb 4, 2012:

* Loco 9: see Jason
* Car 65: See Zack.  I'm guessing the couplers will be installed and the floor completed.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: February 2012 work planning
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:00:36 PM »
For the couplers, Jason needed to order one spring. some straps need to be made to go between the cheek irons, and the plates that go on the ends of the springs need notches cut in them to fit properly. I wqill try to take some photos because I know someone will want to see how they are assembled.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:34:56 PM »
Work done on Feb 4:

* #9: Jason and Jonathon have made much visible progress in the last week.  The cylinders are now attached all-around.  The (new) mid-way frame support structure was fitted and holes drilled.  Today Rick worked on getting the rocker boxes fitted onto the frame, while I worked on making a bracket.  There was probably more work in the PM that I didn't see.
* #65: Jason did a lot of welding for it today, primarily related to the truck frames.  Meanwhile the S end coupler was installed and the car floored.
* Lunch was ham, potatoes, and corn put on by Brigid and Cindy.
* After lunch Cindy and I worked on recording/counting Springfield show receipts and moneys.  We took in about $1800.
* Steve Z, Fred, Stewart and Dave took a trip north to clean out crossings, in preparation for a family visit later in the day.  There's only a few inches on snow on the ground, and very little on the rails.  They got as far as Albee's Crossing, which was being used by lumberers.  The snowplow is not on the diesel and hasn't been on at all yet this winter.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:38:43 PM by James Patten »

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:47:56 AM »
The reason we only got to Albee's crossing was that the lumber people had placed heavy timber MATS over our crossing planks then covered them with a number of inches of gravel which protects the crossing. I'm sure they will be removed as soon as their done lumbering. I wish we could have those 8 by 8 timbers that are bolted together, but I guess they cost quite a lot to build.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »
Anticipated work for Feb 11:

* Board meeting on Friday Feb 10 @ 4:30
* #65: Probably working to get in the second coupler and board the floor.  Zack will be asking about money for ordering boards at the board meeting.
* #9: Work on attaching accessories

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 05:56:52 PM »
Note on Car 65 -  If the coupler spring doesn't come in this week, we'll start work on the belt rail.  This rail goes around the car about 2' off the floor and is joined to the corner posts, studs and sway braces.  It's visible from the inside (at the same reveal as the inside sheathing) so we need to install it before we can start sheathing the interior.  We'll also have to build the window framing before we can do any sheathing.

Stewart

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »
Work done on Feb 11:

* Loco 9: I made a binder bar (under Jason's tutelage), the last one for the engine.  Jason was busy working on the mid-frame binder.
* Loco 10: Gordon C worked on valves in the cab.
* Car 65: The belt rails were put on all the way around.

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 07:58:53 PM »
I heard that during the winter work weekend seathing of the dairy car will be started. Is this correct? If so I'll pack my nail apron and hammer.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 09:29:39 PM »
Yes - for details please see the post on page 6 of the "Reefer project pics" thread on the Museum Discussion topic.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 07:04:05 AM »
Anticipated work for Feb 18 - 20, the "Winter Work Weekend":

* Whitefield Lions Club Model RR and Dollhouse Show in Augusta on Saturday.  Not quite sure how model railroads and doll houses go together...
* As noted elsewhere, there should be plenty to do on Car 65.  Hopefully the truck hardware will be finished this weekend.  Also there's sheathing of the car.
* Tree cutting?  Maybe, I guess it depends on the crew.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 08:23:34 PM »
Work done on Saturday Feb 18:

* Augusta train show.  John R, Marcel, and I attended that.  At noon 500 people had come through.
I left the show and came back to the museum, but when I got back I was paged for work, so all I saw was:
* Car 65: the exterior sheathing has been done.  Some work had been done on the truck on Friday but I wasn't able to see if any more had been done.
* Stump cutting: Fred took some people up line to cut stumps.

I plan to revisit on Monday and will report any additional work.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »
We made it to the rail pile at Albees Field, which looks much different now, lowering or destroying most stumps within 5 feet of the end of the ties. The crew was a new volunteer named Dennis, Dave B., Dwight, Fred, Cliff O. and myself.

Albees Field has grown. All the trees were removed to just about the large stump on the East Side of the Ladder. It is unknown if the stumps will be removed or not. Even the pines that were between the tracks and the field were removed. John M. was checking his phone lines in the area Saturday also.
Mike

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »
John M. was checking his phone lines in the area Saturday also.

Andrew Shade and I checked several locations and then walked from Alna Center to the end of the line. A call from there to Sheepscot worked perfectly. Thus, "so far, so good." :)
-John

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
Forgot to mention. Joe worked on some valves on #10.
Mike

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 07:17:28 AM »
Anticipated work for Feb 25:

* #9: See Jason.
* #65: See Zack.