Author Topic: Harold Morrill: Real Estate Agent?  (Read 4215 times)

Roger Whitney

• Switchman
    • View Profile
Harold Morrill: Real Estate Agent?
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »

Most students of the Monson know that from 1905 on, Superintendent Morrill wore a great many hats in the company as well as in his community.  However it turns out he was a bit of a real estate agent as well.
   On March 26, 1906, Morrill responds to Mr. C.C. Brown, GP & TA of the B&A Railroad.  Mr. Brown wanted to know if any cottages were for rent in Monson.  Morrill’s reply was YES!  H.E. Pullen had 5 sleeping rooms; Mrs. Marion Crosby,3; Mrs. Harriet Crafts, 2; Mrs. Frank Towne, 1; B.B. Stewart, 2; R.T. Thomas, 2; A. W. Rarrar, 2 and H. E. Smith, 1.  Morrill goes on to say that “I should be glad to have all of these occupied the coming season if possible.”  Sounds like he had a vested interest in having these occupied.
   Lets go on to February 14, 1914, this time a reply to George Houghton P.T.M. of the B&A Railroad.  A B&A customer wanted to buy land on Lake Hebron.  Morrill states that Mrs. Sybil Smith owns a farm which borders on the lake and is willing to sell lots.  Also another cottage belonging to C.A. Emerson is for sale on the opposite side of the lake. Morrill goes on to state that “I will be glad to assist your party in any way possible if he should come here to look these properties over.”
   Then on May 16, 1919,  he responds from a request, again from Mr. Houghton (B&A), that the Pullen cottage situated on Lake Hebron is available from mid-July to mid-August. The cottage has a large living room with a fireplace, kitchen and four sleeping rooms. All bedding except sheets is furnished.  Wood, ice and one boat go with the cottage but canoes were extra.  The price of the cottage was one dollar per day!
   The interesting thing here is this was all recorded in the Monson Railroad letterpress, not Harold Morrill, Real Estate Agent Inc.  At this time the B&A was very much involved with bringing folks from away to the north woods as evidenced by their publishing of In The Maine Woods, a magazine which promoted hunting fishing and other forms of outdoor recreation and is a collectable today.
   So Mr. Morrill certainly had his hand in the local real estate scene. Maybe the Monson took a lesson from the B&A and promoted their own little piece in paradise!   

Eric Larsen

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: Harold Morrill: Real Estate Agent?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
If any passenger record survives from the Monson, look at the passenger counts for each month.  I'll bet Spring-summer-fall season had a much higher passenger count than winter.  I'm sure that the railroad wanted to promote this in every way they could.