Author Topic: Porter 0-6-0 starts steam season 2012 in Finland  (Read 5912 times)

Arttu Manninen

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
Porter 0-6-0 starts steam season 2012 in Finland
« on: January 26, 2012, 02:26:58 AM »

The Porter 0-6-0 (2313/1901) streching her legs on temporarily laid track yesterday in southern Finland. The occasion was a permanent way conference. The participiants and passers-by were impressed likewise. Kids were offered cab rides. The engine served a 750mm line in central Finland up to the sixties, the line belonged to a pulp factory. It had been a common carrier till the State Railway's broad gauge line reched the mill in 1942.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Porter 0-6-0 starts steam season 2012 in Finland
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:23:27 AM »
Sort of reminds me of the Edaville engine from the Fiji Islands before they added the "tender" to it.  There must be hundreds of these little odd creatures all over the world.  I wonder if anyone has tried to come up with an inventory of them?  I'm sure many are non-operational, or in private hands, or museums, or even just junk lines.  Everyone has concentrated on bigger locomotives, and these little kettles have been ignored, but I'll wager there's lots of 'em out there someplace.

Richard

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:40:18 AM »
Interesting, the Fiji engine...you must mean No 21 (Anne Elizabeth?) Never thought of her without a tender. Are there any photos out there of this engine or a similar Hudswell in original condition?

Stephen

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »
Hi Gents,

Edaville's "Ann Elizabeth" remains very similar to how she appeared when she left Hudswell's shop floor.  She is one of a number of similar 0-6-0 tender locomotives provided by them to sugar lines in Fiji, Australia, and probably other places.  A close cousin may be seen in the attached YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB3t3xgaAHg

Best Regards,
Glenn
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:47:38 PM by Glenn Christensen »

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »
Many "foreign" locomotives which reach our shores soon are mutilated by efforts to "Americanize" them by well meaning owners.  In most cases, the results are less than good. Better to leave well enough alone. I've seen many of the German 2-foot well-tankers that have undergone this treatment, located from here to Colorado. Some came out better than others, but none of them were better than if left original.

Richard