Author Topic: TCDA No. 65 (Reefer) - Official Work Thread  (Read 245202 times)

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Reefer 65 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #240 on: July 25, 2012, 10:47:22 PM »
I expect that the Maine Eastern schedules may change when the DE connections are added, but at the moment  the Maine Eastern schedules are very Rockland oriented.

If you wish to start from Rockland, the train departs Rockland at 0750, arrives Wiscasset at 0900, and arrives Brunswick 0945. It departs Brunswick at 1030, arrives Wiscasset 1115, and arrives back in Rockland at 1225. Thus, there are 2 hours and 15 minutes available in Wiscasset for a side trip for those coming from Rockland. (In the evening, the train departs Rockland at 1555 and arrives Wiscasset at 1705, well after we have ceased operations for the day.)

If you wish to start from Brunswick, the train departs Brunswick at 1030, arrives Wiscasset at 1115, and arrives Rockland at 1225. It departs Rockland at 1555, arrives Wiscasset at 1705, and returns to Brunswick at 1750. Thus, there are 5 hours and 50 minutes available in Wiscasset for a side trip for those coming from Brunswick.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:50:04 PM by John McNamara »

Hansel Fardon

« Reply #241 on: August 12, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 12, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »
I spoke to an official at the Maine Eastern earlier this week, in connection with the ME's entry in the 2013 edition of Kalmbach's "Tourist Trains Guidebook." I asked him specifically about connections with the Amtrak Downeaster service, and he told me that Amtrak has not shared with ME which trains will continue from Portland to Brunswick, nor which trains will originate in Brunswick. "If they have a plan, it's an internal document," he stated. He said that ME has no plans to alter its schedules at this time.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 12, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »
That report is discouraging to say the least.  Bureaucratic nonsense at its finest. Maybe they'll have one leave 5 minutes before the other gets there.  Goodness knows, we wouldn't want to make this work out for the convenience of the public.

What about the group that sponsors the Downeaster? Trainriders Northeast, or whatever they call themselves. They have boosted the Downeaster from day one.  Could they be helpful in getting these various parties to communicate with each other?

Worth a try, I should think.

Erik Z. Missal

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 13, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »
Hi,
Amtrak has announced they will be starting service to Brunswick on Nov. 1. They will be running practice runs for 2 weeks prior. There has been a lot if activity on the signals and track.
Erik

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 13, 2012, 06:25:01 PM »
According to Amtrak's press release, trains will depart Boston at 9:05 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., arriving Brunswick at 12:25 p.m.and 8:25 p.m.
Departures from Brunswick at 7:05 a.m. and 5:50 p.m., arrivals in Boston at 10:30 a.m. and 9:15 p.m.

For the record, it would be possible, if the stars align just right, to ride the Maine Eastern's afternoon train from Wiscasset (5:05 p.m.), arriving at Brunswick at 5:50 p.m., just in time to catch the Boston train. Unfortunately, there is no corresponding connection northbound TO Wiscasset until the next morning. So much for coordination....

There is an Enterprise auto rental outlet just a short distance from the station in Brunswick, which is probably the best bet for getting to and from Wiscasset and the WW&F.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:00:54 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 17, 2012, 02:58:11 PM »
Just for the fun of it, I worked out a way I could take Amtrak from Harrisburg, Pa. to Brunswick. It would be a 15-hour marathon, including three  hours of waiting for connections. If I did that sometime, would someone be available to pick me up in Brunswick at 8:25 p.m? If I was a real masochist, i'd make it an overnight trip, leaving Harrisburg at 9:15 p.m. with a 12:25 p.m. arrival in Brunswick the next day. Amtrak doesn't make it very easy.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 18, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »
Wayne....if you want to try Ginny and I can pick you up.

Keith

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
Re: TCDA No. 65 (Reefer) - Official Work Thread
« Reply #248 on: December 27, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
Is the TCDA #65 Reefer still on display at Wiscasset outside or is it now back in Sheepscot for indoor Winter Storage?
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 28, 2012, 08:14:59 AM »
It is still in Wiscasset, all locked up for the winter.  We were unable to find a means to transport it back to Sheepscot.  The person that transported it the first time was quite clear in that he didn't want to do it repeatedly.  We have people looking into trailers that we can modify to use on this project.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2013, 10:56:42 AM »
Anybody have any winter shots of the reefer at Wiscasset?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Chris Cardinal

• Engine Wiper
  • 2 feet wide
    • View Profile
    • Adirondack Car & Foundry
« Reply #251 on: March 26, 2013, 10:48:20 PM »
We are working from original Portland Company plans which show all the rods to be installed as construction progresses.  There is a lot of unseen steel in wooden cars.  As to rod adjustments, (as Mike noted) hidden rods are all tightened when they are installed and the nuts peened over.  No further attention is given them unless there are heavy repairs to the car sides.

Stewart

Is there any chance I might be able to purchase copies of the Portland plans? I am considered mighty "fussy" when it comes to model building. Now that I am in the larger, ride-on scales I want things to be perfect. I'd be happy to make a donation to cover costs, etc. Some other folks might like to just have a framed set of plans on their living room wall; could raise a few bucks for the museum.

Any chance you would share your paint codes as well? I was looking at the vintage paint Old Village carries ( http://old-village.com/ov_paint_colours.html ), but having it straight from the horses mouth sure beats guessing.

Thanks!

Chris

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 27, 2013, 07:10:14 AM »
Hi Chris,

The plans are from the Maine State Archives in Augusta that has the original Portland Company files.  We purchased our copies from the state so I don't think the we would be allowed to sell copies.

As to the paint, we used Benjamin Moore cottage red for the milk car.  The numbers, lettering and interior is painted in gloss white enamel.

Hope this helps.  Your project sounds great, would you post some photos of your railroad?

Stewart
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:30:14 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Chris Cardinal

• Engine Wiper
  • 2 feet wide
    • View Profile
    • Adirondack Car & Foundry
« Reply #253 on: March 27, 2013, 09:43:55 AM »
Hi Chris,

The plans are from the Maine State Archives in Augusta that has the original Portland Company files.  We purchased our copies from the state so I don't think the we would be allowed to sell copies.

As to the paint, we used Benjamin Moore cottage red for the milk car.  The numbers, lettering and interior is painted in gloss white enamel.

Hope this helps.  Your project sounds great, would you post some photos of your railroad?

Stewart

Thanks Stewart, that is actually quite helpful! Do you have a contact at the state archives?

I'll try to get something together to post.

cheers,

Chris

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 27, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »
I may be wrong....but I thought I remembered the Portland Co. files were with the Maine Historical Society in Portland. Not the State Archives.

Keith