Author Topic: TCDA No. 65 (Reefer) - Official Work Thread  (Read 247114 times)

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: Reefer 65 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2012, 07:50:09 PM »
We need to get ladder rail measurements from car 312 at Boothbay to design car 65s side ladders and stirrups.

Why wouldn't 309 be the same as 312?  Aren't they the same series of cars?
A spike saved is a spike earned.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
Not necessarily.  309 has grab irons, whereas 312 (and 65) have a ladder-type arrangement.  309 and 312 may have similar numbers, but 309 was rebuilt near the end so they may have changed things around to save money.

Eric Larsen

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »
 I may be wrong but I think they all just used the same grab irons.   The ladders are in theory stronger as they can have longer bolts that go through more anchoring wood to support weight and stress on two ?x? vertical pieces of lumber used to make the ladders.  309 may have the same thing going on but hidden inside between the inner and outer sheathing.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2012, 04:10:15 AM »
There are blocks inside the walls that the grab irons and/or ladder rails bolt to.  We will install 65's brace blocks when we know the ladder mearurements.  When 309 was rebuilt around 1930 the shop crew used grab irons for the side and end ladders.  This was not typical of WW&F cars.  TCDA car 65 will be more like a regular WW&F car, built to standard Portland Company plans with rail side ladders and the end ladders made with grabs.   The rungs of the rail ladders are bolted to the rail and the rails are bolted to the blocks in the car body. 

Stewart

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2012, 10:54:08 AM »
In addition, grab irons stand off from the car body by 2-1/2" to 2-3/4", whereas the ladder rungs are straight across between the ladder rails.  The rungs will be a much simpler forging than the making of 4 bends in the proper locations to achieve a grab iron width of about 18".

Dave Crow

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »
Won't be too bad Dave once we get the proper way figured out. Probably the easiest will be leaving the rod full length and cut after bending.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2012, 08:51:23 PM »
Having read another thread, leads me to ask this question. We have talked about color before. What color will the car be when completed? Standard Gauge milk cars were green and wondering if the TCDA cars were the same color, or if they were painted the Boxcar red? I found in Two Feet to Tidewater the color was BC red but don't know if that is accurate or not.
Mike

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »
I think we decided on Red at the board meeting this month.  Stewart was there and can probably remember better than I can.

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »
During lunch on Monday there was a brief discussion about putting links to this and the #9 thread on the website homepage so that anyone who came across the website could see the links and learn the details of these two major projects without having to know that they are on the forum and then try to find them. Don't know if that was idea was followed up on with the appropriate person(s).
Paul C.

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2012, 05:55:18 PM »
I thought that the TCDA car was yellow with with a green roof?
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2012, 09:22:41 PM »
The research, done by Gary Kohler and Chris McChesney for the Narrow Gauge in the Sheepscot Valley book series indicates that the car was painted boxcar red with white lettering.  Car 65 started as a red typical boxcar.  The car was rebuilt in the Wiscasset shops in 1913 and got new paint with TCDA lettering.  The body was probably red as the railroad was not running solid varnish much by that time.  Later photos show the car in a mixed consist with the car being the same dark tone as the boxcars it was coupled to.  Available information on paint, etc. that was purchased at the time show red lead as one of the few colors the railroad got. 

This is the information the Board used to decide that the car would be painted boxcar red like the other WW&F freight cars.

Stewart

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Stewart.

Looks like I missed a good replica photo opportunity.
For those who have it, Two Feet between the Rails, Vol. 2.
Page 34. Lower right. Shows the shop crew in Phillips building a boxcar. Framed and some interior boards.
Last weekend I could have taken that shot. Should have looked earlier.
Mike

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »
Here are a couple pics I took during work weekend and have posted along with a coulpe others to the NERail WW&F page. Since this is my first try at posting pictures I hope I've followed the instructions from Ed correctly. Paul Crabb
http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=198279
http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=198278
http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=198275   The signatures are on the right (from inside) of the west door opening and were put there after a discussion about the names on the original wall section of the Alna Center Statiom

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
Lets see if this shows in the post. Paul

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2012, 06:26:29 PM »
This is Stewart at work slathering linseed oil on the doorposts.  The picture also shows the interior siding installed yesterday.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:59:12 AM by Ed Lecuyer »