Author Topic: Two Sand Domes Are Better Than One  (Read 3531 times)

Roger Whitney

• Switchman
    • View Profile
Two Sand Domes Are Better Than One
« on: October 27, 2011, 11:54:37 AM »
Two Sand Domes are Better Than One

The two “machines” (Morrill liked to call them that) which Monson bought from Vulcan in 1913 and 1918 had a very distinctive look to them.  They didn’t have the same look as the reverse curve roofs of the Hinckley’s or the bold look of the Baldwins or the clean lines of the Porters that the other two-footers had.
   But what makes them look different at first glance?  The Monson Vulcans had TWO sand domes, not just one.  This begged the question…. how many other two-footers had two sand domes?  Out came all my two-footer books. It turns out just one.  WW&F No. 6, a  Baldwin, was the only other Maine two-footer with two sand domes.  No. 6 was a big prairie type with a longer boiler and had room for those two domes.
        But it turns out the Monson Vulcans were the only Maine two-foot forneys to have two sand domes.  Kind of an interesting bit of useless trivia, but I’m sure the Monson was glad to be able to sand the drive wheels when running in either direction for those tough 5% grades!

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Two Sand Domes Are Better Than One
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »
I agree Roger,

Looks like the brass hats in Monson had the right idea setting the # 3 and 4 up like switch engines.  Two domes made sense since they didn't turn the locomotives.  Same amount of sand available in each direction.  It shows that management was solid in the idea of keeping their motive power facing South.

Stewart