Author Topic: Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Coat of Arms  (Read 10181 times)

Steve Klare

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Narrow Gauge Films
Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Coat of Arms
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:25:40 PM »
I've been curious for a long time about the SR&RL coat of arms, the one that has the motto "The Scenic Route" in it.

I don't recall ever seeing on a document that existed during the time the Sandy River was still in business, and a part of me wonders if HT Crittenden himself created it for "The Maine Scenic Route" when he first published it in the 1960s.

Can anyone here document it earlier?

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Coat of Arms
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »
That's a good question. The earliest use of the shield logo I've encountered is in the March 1946 issue of Railroad Magazine, accompanying a short article by Frank P. Savage, entitled simply "Two-Foot Gage" [sic], that recalls the author's childhood memories of humorous mishaps during the construction of the F&M in the 1880s. (It's amazing to realize that these events of 60 years before were still a matter of living memory in the 1940s!) It was Railroad Magazine's style in this era for non-fiction pieces like this to feature the corporate logo of the railroad being written about, so the editors appear to have believed it to be the real thing -- a mere decade after abandonment. But where they got it from, who knows?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:43:59 PM by Philip Marshall »

Steve Klare

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Narrow Gauge Films
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:59:34 PM »
Phillip,

That's great!

I wouldn't have been at all surprised to find out Mr. Crittenden whipped this up on his drafting table somewhere around 1965.

If it existed in the 1940s it is from before Edaville, Linwood Moody, "Maine Two Footers" and the beginning of the Two Footers as an area of Railfan interest.

I now think it's related to the operational era of SR&RL, I just don't know how.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:35:13 PM »
The challenge now is to locate the logo on a genuine SR&RL timetable or some piece of stationery, which is something I've never seen to date. It appears nowhere on the June 4, 1928 timetable in my own collection, so perhaps it's from earlier?

To that end, someone is currently offering a 1"x1" printer's block for it on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141244586138?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Steve Klare

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Narrow Gauge Films
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 01:51:10 PM »
Something's funky about that!

Shouldn't it be mirror imaged if it was intented for printing?

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »
Something's funky about that!

Shouldn't it be mirror imaged if it was intented for printing?

Yes, you're quite right. Maybe that's why no one's buying it?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:57:15 PM by Philip Marshall »