Author Topic: Vintage lightbulbs for the WW&F buildings  (Read 8742 times)

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
Vintage lightbulbs for the WW&F buildings
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:16:34 PM »
http://www.1000bulbs.com/category/antique-light-bulbs/

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/54666/IN-L4099.html- I have bought two of these bulbs and they look fantastic in my outdoor fixtures. I thought that they would lend a traditional look with the vitage fixtures that have been installed in the buildings there.

http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/lighting_accessories.html-This site has some more types but a bit more pricey.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage lightbulbs for the WW&F buildings
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »
Hi Robert,  

Thanks for the links.  The subject of antique bulbs has come up at Sheepscot.  Our electrician, Josh Recave has provided a number of old style bulbs for the outside lights on the buildings.  One company where he has gotten bulbs is  www.bulborama.com  They have antique style 116 watt 130volt traffic light bulbs that are rated at 8,000 hours.  These clear bulbs have been installed in the goose neck lights on the ends of the shop building.   The long life is important as the higher fixtures are hard to reach, especially with snow around the building.

Another source (one of my favorites) is www.houseofantiquehardware.com  They have Edison light bulbs of various styles from 1885-into the 1920's.  Some of them are like the one you posted.  I have some of these bulbs, one is in the old knob and tube ceiling fixture in my cellar and it looks great.  These bulbs, like the ones you got from 1000bulbs.com are beautiful but last a shorter time.   We may try some in the gift shop lights but the 60 watt Edison bulb draws 60 watts of power but does not give off the same amount of light that a newer 60 watt bulb does so they may not be adequate.  I'll send your links to Josh and I'll see him this weekend to see what he thinks.

Sheepscot is a great place because of the oldtime electric lights, crank phones, kerosene lanterns and other things that match the era of narrow gauge steam railroading perfectly.

Thanks again for the links,

Stewart    
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:22:37 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »
Stewart,

I was not to sure what had been used there in the way of bulbs, but it is nice to know that there are others as well working towards the "Total" look and feel of the early 20th century. I look forward to saving some vacation time up and visiting the museum.

Rob

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:53:21 PM »
Let me add www.aamsco.com as my favorite source of bulbs. I bought the steam locomotive headlight and gauge glass bulbs from these folks. I bought the pressure gauge bulb (Ancor) from www.go2marine.com. I'm only interested in 32 Volt bulbs, as I'm "under 90 Volts." Josh is "over 90 volts" and might be interested in some of the antique bulbs that are also part of the www.aamsco.com product line.

-John

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 08:10:51 PM »
Robert,

I forgot to mention another idea about period equipment at Sheepscot.   A few of us have discussed installing some knob and tube electric wiring in one building at the museum.  There's a company in Mass. that makes brand new UL approved 12gauge cloth-covered wire and supplies original mint condition knobs, tubes and fixtures so they can be used safely.  I'll have to look up their url, they have provided antique wiring and equipment for a number of TV and movie production companies shooting period films.  Installing K&T has never gotten past the idea stage at Sheepscot (and I'm not sure the insurance company would like it) but I think it would be nice to have a small bit of it.  Maybe the gift shop ceiling fixtures could be wired with it so the public would see it. Just a thought.

Stewart

p.s.  Thanks for the links John,  There's some good stuff on those sites.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:23:40 PM by Stewart Rhine »

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »
I never really knew what that type of wiring was but after looking at it aircraft are wired allot in the same fashion. On another topic, was there ever a replacement type fastener intended for rivets? I was thinking of a hi-lok type.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:50:11 PM »
Robert,

I don't know about your rivet question but I found the info on the company that supplies knob and tube wiring parts.  It is: Sundial Wire Products in Northhampton, MA.  Their website is at www.sundialwire.com you'll see the section where they list knobs and tubes.  I've always been a fan of K&T wiring, interesting stuff.

Stewart

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 11:25:03 AM »
Last weekend I saw what looked to be a vintage style light bulb, fixture and fabric wire for sale -think it was $55.00, probably negotiable - at the antique and book store on Water St about 2 doors north of Red's Eats.  It's hanging on the wall next to the transportation books. 

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »
Hi Bill,   

I went to that antique shop on Thursday and looked at the fixture you mentioned.  It's pretty rare, an early Edison bulb that still has most of the paper label intact, in an unusual brass hanging socket.  The price was negotiable and the fixture is now hanging in my cellar.  I replaced the wiring with modern cloth covered wire, cleaned the switch and attached the fixture to the knob and tube wiring near the bottom of the stairs.   I brought the power up slowly and the bulb came to life - glowing with a warm light from the double loop filament.  It's really something seeing the light from a 100 year old bulb.

Thanks for the tip.  You'll have to stop by and see it sometime.

Stewart

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »
Be careful that the "Lightbulb Police" don't discover what you've done.  They'll make you replace it with one of their mercury-laden curleyque creations.  I'm stocking up on incandescent bulbs, and I know lots of other folks who are doing the same. 

Richard

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »
maybe museum should start to stock up on clear 150W bulbs that are used in the shop light fixtures.

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 04:09:10 PM »
Be careful that the "Lightbulb Police" don't discover what you've done.  They'll make you replace it with one of their mercury-laden curleyque creations.  I'm stocking up on incandescent bulbs, and I know lots of other folks who are doing the same. 

Richard

I use the CFLs in my house (they are mostly 5yrs old, I kept them while I moved around until I got my house again) but the incandescent bulbs I bought are just really nice for the fixtures I have outside. They really stand out on the house not like the other way brighter lights others have.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »
Robert,

I bet those Edison bulbs look good in your outside fixtures, especially if they are an old style.  All the outside lights at the museum have clear bulbs.  As I noted before, the goose neck lights have 116 watt 130 volt bulbs while the others (post light and platform lights) have 100 watt bulbs.  There are over 50 bulbs in sockets and hanging fixtures inside the shop building.  These are the ones that are constantly being replaced.  Most are 150 watt, 130 volt.  Some are clear and some are frosted. 

Stewart