Author Topic: Clary's Mill  (Read 7590 times)

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Clary's Mill
« on: August 09, 2011, 06:59:15 PM »
Is anybody able to provide information on the dimensions of Clary's Mill, or have an idea where I might look for it?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: Clary's Mill
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:49:37 PM »
Well, I lucked out. I happen to discover that Clary Mill is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Checking their site, I learned that I could requestion a copy of the nomination document that was submitted to the NRHP. In it, the dimensions were listed, as well as a detailed description and photos.

Jeff S.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 08:53:48 PM »
I know the owner...I used to work with his son. Feel free to PM me.

Stephen

Paul Kelley

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »
Hi,

I've been involved in the attempt to rehab the Clary Mill, and I'm the person who nominated it to the National Register. When preparing the nomination, I looked into the connection to the WW&F, but my visit to the museum was off season.

I'd be very happy to hear of any info you have regarding the spur at the mill, or the old trestle over Pleasant Pond Brook, which eventually became the outlet from the renamed Clary Lake.

In answer to your question, the current mill (others existed on the site dating to the 18th cent.) is 30' x 80' with the unusual characteristic for a building of that period of having the main floor a clear-span of that full dimension (no internal intermediary columns). The upper floor and attic are hung from the ridge by iron rods, and the lower story has massive columns, all resting on a checkered granite foundation.

Let me know if you'd like a visit or walk through of the mill, or need any specific documentary material. Of course, I'd love to get copies of any material any member here might have regarding the mill itself, and/or the connection to the railway.
Clary Mill
N. Whitefield, ME

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 06:18:46 PM »
Wow. A 30 foot clear span? That is something boat builders would have. Impressive.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 02:06:40 PM »
Paul,

I'd like to take you up on your offer to visit the mill. I probably won't get up to Maine again until this April.

Jeff