Author Topic: Big RR Meeting in Bridgton 8/8/2011  (Read 11461 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Big RR Meeting in Bridgton 8/8/2011
« on: August 07, 2011, 03:03:16 PM »
Hi Folks,

I have been asked to post the following information about an important meeting to be held in Bridgton tomorrow.  The meeting could have significant impact regarding the town's bid to host an new venue for the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad, currently located in Portland, Maine.

THIS MEETING IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!!!  This has led to a larger conference room being scheduled for the event.  THE MORE PEOPLE WHO CAN ATTEND, THE STRONGER THE MESSAGE!!!

Here is a copy of the meeting announcement:

The Town of Bridgton Office of Economic & Community Development
requests your participation in a
Strategic Phase I Forum

“Broad Range Action
for the
Narrow Gauge Railroad”
Monday, August 8th
2:30PM – 4:00PM
Bridgton Town Office, BOS Room

The Directors of the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad are at a critical decision-making milestone regarding the proposed relocation of the MNGRR Museum & Restoration/Preservation Yard. Bridgton has been officially notified that we are one of the finalist communities under consideration. Now is the time to join our civic, community, commercial & organizational resources together in our bid to successfully bring the Historic Narrow Gauge Railroad back home to Bridgton, Maine!

We propose a two-phase Forum process; Phase I Forum will provide the core local civic & organizational groups proper opportunity to communicate their perspective, position and level of commitment to the Narrow Gauge Railroad relocating in Bridgton. Phase II Forum will provide local property owners on or along the proposed railway right-of-way to communicate their perspective, position and interest in the Narrow Gauge Railroad line operating in Bridgton.
Both Forums are open to the general public and there will be a Public Comment Period provided at each Forum.      

Invited Participants
The Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
Return of the Rails, Inc.
Bridgton Board of Selectmen
Greater Bridgton Lakes Region Chamber of Commerce
Bridgton Historical Society
Bridgton Community Development Committee
Bridgton Economic Development Corporation
Bridgton Comprehensive Plan Committee  

For additional information & detail please contact Alan S. Manoian, Director of Economic & Community Development, Town of Bridgton, ME at 207.647.8786 or ecodevdir@bridgtonmaine.org or Bridgton Office of Economic & Community Development on FACEBOOK.

Here is a copy of the meeting agenda:

Broad Range Action
for the
Narrow Gauge Railroad

AGENDA
Monday, August 8th
2:30PM – 4:00PM

• Welcoming Remarks
    (Town Manager)

• Review of Request for Proposal (RFP) &
    Bridgton Response to Proposal
    (Dir. of Economic & Community Development)

• Status of Community Selection Process
    (Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Representative)

• Open Forum for Comment & Discussion

• Direction/Consensus on Next Steps
  • Closing Remarks
    (Town Manager)

If you have any questions about attending, please contact the town as indicated at the bottom of the announcement document.

If you require additional information about the proposals to be discussed, copies of the Maine Narrow Gauge Request For Proposal and Bridgton's RFP Response may be found on the Return of the Rails website located here:
http://www.returnoftherails.com/

Sincerely,
Glenn Christensen
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:39:32 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Big RR Meeting in Bridgton tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »
Now we will see the true colors of the supporters and detractors. This is a numbers game and the more of "our" people, the better the chances.
Come out and support the Maine Two Footers
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:22:42 PM by Ira Schreiber »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »
Bill and I were just talking about this. Wish I had the time to make it. Please keep us posted.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »
Very short notice, and in the afternoon when most people are working! It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Richard

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »
The meeting results were not auspicious.

There will be more to come on this, later in the week.

Sincerely,
Glenn Christensen

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 09:56:47 PM »
The meeting results were not auspicious.

My guess is that the response was, "If you folks (MNG) will provide all the labor, materials, and money, we're in favor of your project. Otherwise, we're sorry but no luck."

-John

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 04:07:31 PM »
I took the liberty of emailing Alan Minoian directly about the short notice meeting they had.  He replied that, though open to the public, it wasn't a "Public Meeting" !?  Anyway, he said that there will be a big piece in this week's Bridgton newspaper about the railroad matter. So I would suggest people check that out.  He also said that there will be another meeting, this one truly Public, in the evening at some time in the near future. Hopefully it will be well advertised in advance.  I told him that many people hope that Bridgton doesn't flub this opportunity to get their railroad back. Of all the various locations that have been suggested, Bridgton seems like a no brainer as far as authenticity goes.

The more people attend the meeting or communicate their feelings to Mr. Minoian, the better the chances of having some sway in the matter. 

Richard

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Re: Big RR Meeting in Bridgton 8/8/2011
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »
From the first article:

"Several members of the economic development corporation questioned the men’s estimate of $25,000 a mile to lay rails, even though Brandes and Durham said they own the steel track, thereby greatly reducing construction costs. Corporation member Mark Lopez said his understanding was that it costs $1 million a mile to lay track."

Obviously an education effort is needed here, if some think it will cost $1 million per mile to rebuild a segment of the rail line.  Since we've built over 2.4 miles of mainline track, can we provide some reasonable cost estimates here?

- Bill
What–me worry?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Big RR Meeting in Bridgton 8/8/2011
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »
While I have been out of the "professional" side of railroading for about 10 years, the last time I solicited contractors to build track on a prepared grade, they were quoting prices ranging from $95-$115 per foot, or $501,600-$607,200 per mile. This cost included rail, ties, OTM, ballast and surfacing by the contractor.

If MNG plans to build its own track with volunteers and with rail it already owns, the costs would include ties, spikes and ballast and would probably still be in the $125,000 per mile range. In either case, quite a bit less than $1 million a mile.