Author Topic: August Work Planning  (Read 26585 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: August Work Planning
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 06:52:12 PM »
Work done Aug 27:

* Fred and Dwight did some mowing
* Mike fixed Big Joe's electrical problem
* There was a little bit of rearranging in the shop.  I wanted to get Coach 8 under cover (the new roof leaks), so #9's drivers were moved from behind the frame to the extension floor.  Then the caboose was shoved in more.  Handcar 2 was put outside, leaving room for the railcar in Bay 2 and the coach in the machine shop.  Putting handcar 2 outside sparked a search for its cover, which was found on the compressor car.  Another search for the cover for the compressor car eventually found it outside near the gasoline shed.
* Jason has started milling work on one half of #9's forward frame.  Meanwhile today I reamed out the last 2 holes and Zack got lock washers and nuts on all the bolts for the center casting which sits on the rear truck.

Now we all hunker down and wait for Irene to pass.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 07:25:10 PM »
I got Big Joe operational again. There needs to be some rewiring between the alternator and battery still. Some how melted during the last operating session. And probably the alternator needs to be tested. But it will operate now as is.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 08:57:20 PM »
How was the visitor count? Anyone dissapointed because of the lack of steam?
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 05:25:27 AM »
Saturday's visitors numbered about 70 which was more than we expected.   The fog burned off and the day became warm and humid.  There were quite a few visitors from the Mid Atlantic Region, VA, MD, and PA.  A least two families stopped by that had 5 or more kids.  I gave tours to some of the family groups, one had 5 red headed boys.  There may have been some dissapointment from no steam but we told folks that some of our crew came from MA and that we didn't want them to come to Maine and then have to drive back into the hurricane.  Visitors were understanding of the situation and everyone got to see (and in some cases go in the cab of) engine 10.  Many said they would be back for the Fall Festival or Victorian Christmas.  The railcar ran 5 trips, one was sold out.

Zack completed his project to install a new gas range in the Percival house.  It was in service well before noon so our lunch was cooked on it.  A couple of us also disconnected the broken dish washer.  The old range was put out front (along with the dishwasher) as free for the asking.  Both were gone in half an hour.  I spoke to the fellow who got the stove and washer, he was real happy to have them.

Hurricane forecast - Computer models have the eye tracking along the western edge of the state so there will be a bit less rain but more wind.  A track inspection crew will go out Monday or Tues.  We'll check for down trees, erosion, clogged culverts and inspect Humason Brook trestle so everything will be ready for Labor Day weekend. 

Stewart
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:30:06 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 05:56:36 AM »
The broken Microwave Oven was also removed. Put at curbside and had a new owner within a half hour. New microwave oven installed in location of old microwave. Trash and bottle/can baskets moved to under counter where the dishwasher was located.
dwight

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 06:39:59 AM »
Dright and I finish Albee's crossing and a ways South from there in the afternoon as we were train crew part of the morning and removing items in the kitchen the rest of the time. I bought a new trimmer and have left my older one at the railroad. I put a new clutch in the old one a couple of weeks ago.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 04:19:34 PM »
The Irene Report: Irene caused no problems to the railroad.  There were some downpours early in the day, but as Irene came ashore at Long Island NY and moved up the Conn. River, dry air got pulled into the system and killed the east side rains.  It still blew plenty, but I think the highest gusts around here were probably 50 mph.  Steve said that the only problem from the storm was the tent sheltering the lawn mower blew off, and something hit the mower removing a lever handle.  A train ride today revealed no issues up the line.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 04:27:42 PM »
Amtrak remained shut down all the way to DC today.  Glad to know that the WW&F is not so timid.

Richard

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 08:25:18 PM »
Here's a picture of the Amtrak main at Trenton, NJ.
I don't see why they stopped running trains! :)

Keith