Author Topic: Railbus trailers  (Read 4826 times)

Mark Edry

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
Railbus trailers
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:46:44 AM »
I'm curious about the fate of the railbus trailers.

In later-day SR&RL photos, busses #4 and #5 are often pictured with 4 wheel trailers, smooth sided, with more or less the same profile as the busses themselves. A smaller canvas-sided trailer also appears occasionally, which looks like it could be the one sometimes pictured behind the older bus #3.

In the photos of ex-SR&RL #4 as B&SR #3, it's shown with a high, outside-braced trailer more or less identical in to the one the B&SR built for their cyclops-Frankenstein bus #2.

But in the photos of ex-SR&RL #4, ex-B&SR #3 at Edaville and from what I recall seeing at MNGRR, there is no trailer. (There is a small 4-wheeled wagon sitting in the grass now at Edaville that resembles a bit the B&SR trailer, but it's obviously different in construction, and it's my understanding this one came with their Fiji loco.)

So, is it safe to say that each time the SR&RL #4 was given a new life on a new railroad, its trailer was left behind and doomed to the scrap pile?

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
Re: Railbus trailers
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 03:09:07 AM »
See Page 59 of Pete Barney's Handcars, Railcars, and Railbuses of the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes R.R. for picture of one of the original trailers at Edaville in 1949.
Allan Fisher

Mark Edry

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
Re: Railbus trailers
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 12:15:03 AM »
OK so now I eat my words! Allan calls out what is probably the only Barney book I don't own.

Also in Robert MacDonald's In Quest Of Maine Narrow Gauge there is not only a photo of the original SR&RL trailer at Edaville in 1946 (preceding the railbus's arrival by 3 months) but also there are equipment rosters from 1946 and 1948 that include the trailer.

But, in a separate Edaville equipment roster I have from 1950, the trailer is not listed.

So did the trailer not survive Edaville?
And before that, while Edgar Mead was leasing the railbus to B&HR, did he just keep the trailer in his garage or something while they used the larger homemade one?