Author Topic: Newspaper article on possible Monson RR rebirth  (Read 12443 times)

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper article on possible Monson RR rebirth
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 06:50:51 PM »
The only problem I can see with an operation in Monson is the remoteness of it's location. That being said, I certainly believe SOMETHING should be done, especially if the original mainline ROW can be used. With original stations at both ends and two original MRR engines, it would be a true shame if nothing ever happens there.
I HAVE given it quite a bit of thought, and even surveyed the area on GE. IMHO, I think the best idea would be to use one of the original engines (after MNGRR get's #7 back up and running) and maybe two coaches, with, perhaps, a boxcar and a couple flat/lowside gondola cars (possibly made up as open-seating cars?)
Ideally, it would be nice to see a newly formed MRR group AND the Bridgeton ROTR group succeed.
Since WW&F has it's own engines, the 4 MNGR engines can be used (potentially) to support/continue supporting 4 different operations, Portland, Philips, Bridgeton AND Monson. That would be the best possible outcome to the "relocation" situation.
Let us all hope for the best and let no single operation, current or future,  preclude or hinder another progress,...
...2'ers are small, and Maine has LOTS of room. ;)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »
Glenn,  Thanks for the link.   It would be nice to see more of the Monson rebuilt. Of course I like seeing any railroad rebuilt, especially narrow gauge.

Here's what I can add since I've been to Monson a number of times.  Yes, it's a bit out of the way but there is a good amount of Summer traffic going through the area on the way to Greenville and Moosehead Lake.  Good advertising would pull some of those visitors to Monson.  I have hiked or driven most of the mainline grade and it's in good shape.  Problems include (beyond the obvious things like getting ties and rail),  rebuilding the grade crossings and moving some of the power poles that CMP put in the center of the grade.  CMP would have to be a big player in this.  The ride would not be as pretty as the B&SR but if part of the quarry spurs were rebuilt it would be interesting. A slate industry exhibit or museum would be an extra draw.  Cliff can set me straight if I have any of this wrong.

Stewart  
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:10:16 PM by Stewart Rhine »

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:20:25 AM »
The linked article incorrectly states that I am a member of the MNG board.  As many of you know, I was on the WW&F board for 12 years (1996-2008).

Monson's primary focus on its proposal has been the quarry branches because of the need to run on CMP ROW (former MRR main line) going south - - it would be necessary only to cross CMP ROW on one of the two quarry branches.  However, I believe only a few power poles would have to be moved to accommodate a NG track on the main line.

As proposed, each quarry branch would require crossing only one low-traffic paved road.  I can't comment on the comparative scenery since I have not seen the B&SR ROW.  The Monson branches have woodland comparable to WW&F's and some spectacular quarry and distant mountain views.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:15:50 AM »
Hi Cliff,  Thanks for the additional information.  I didn't realize that the plan was to have the train go all the way down the spurs to the quarrys.  That would be a nice ride.  I have been to two of the quarry pits and they are real interesting.  The locomotive would make some great stack talk as it works up the 5 percent grade.   BTW - it's nice of you to offer the railroad use of the depot.  I know you have invested much restoring the structure and keeping it in good condition.  It would be really cool boarding the train at the original station.  The ultimate thing would be to have a replica of the Monson combine (although it wouldn't hold many passengers).  Seeing the typical mixed train with #4 a boxcar and some flatcars in front of the station would be something.   The rebuilt engine house would complete the scene.  It would take a lot of planning, work and funds but it would look super.

I guess we'll see sometime this year what MNG is going to do.

Stewart  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:29:24 PM by Stewart Rhine »