Author Topic: Great Smoky Mountains RR acquires B&ML Swedish steamer...  (Read 3473 times)

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Great Smoky Mountains RR acquires B&ML Swedish steamer...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:45:03 PM »
Interesting news considering: 1)The locomotive needs a new firebox; 2)It's Sweedish.

That engine (like a lot of Sweedish steam) was kept in ready-to-use storage for several decades (possibly post-overhaul), so the running gear/frame/cylinders/etc. are probably in good shape.

Maybe they figure they're getting a more or less good working engine at the cost of a new crown sheet and/or new tubes.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:44:51 PM »
I have been wondering about this myself. I lived near Bryson City, N.C., the headquarters of the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad, and that is one tough piece of railroad. Sharp curves and grades over 4.5 percent. When the line was run by the Southern Railway, every train ran with at least three GP-30 engines. One engine was good for only eight cars on the steepest part of the line. In steam days, they used fairly large 2-8-0 engines, and the rule of thumb was one engine for every five cars! I have no idea how a little 4-6-0 will cope with that line.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:23:39 AM »
After re-reading the GSMR press release I see they've also bought 9 coaches and an RDC from the B&ML. At least some of the coaches are part of the Swedish trainset...would the Swedish coaches be considered "lightweights?"
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2006060712204510571.jpg&order=byrail&page=26&key=Belfast%20%26%20Moosehead%20Lake

Stephen