Author Topic: WW&F Locomotive Headlight For Sale in Uncle Henry's  (Read 11347 times)

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
WW&F Locomotive Headlight For Sale in Uncle Henry's
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:48:38 AM »
Just a blurp about this.  I don't have the issue in front of me, but I saw an ad in last week's U/H that read something like this:  Narrow Gauge Locomotive Headlight from WW&F #6------.  The seller was from Coopers Mills.  Does anyone know about this item and the history of #6?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F Locomotive Headlight For Sale in Uncle Henry's
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:06:20 AM »
This seller in Coopers Mills is likely someone we've encountered before.  We've looked at this before, and determined his claims were unverifiable.  Purchase at your own risk!

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:49:14 PM »
OK, now I have the ad in front of me.  Had to buy the print edition as it does not show up on line.  As I read it, he has headlight(s) whistle, etc, All kinds of stuff.  The issue is Volume 42 Issue 25 purple cover dated June 23rd thru June 29th, 2011.  Section is "Antiques" P. 46, 2nd column, lower.  I'll not publish the phone number, especially after reading the comment above.

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 11:57:39 PM »
The fellow who used to own  "No 6's headlight" was one of our early members by the name of Brann. He had a car dealership on Route 17 in Washington. He may have died ; the guy who sold him this item lived in the old Post Office building in Coopers Mills. He may be trying to sell it for the family. The headlight is mounted on a block of wood and is in beautiful condition. It is an oil headlight and may have been a rear headlight for a standard Gauge locomotive. Ten years ago, I was offered this item by a Grange Member friend, a Ken Brann for $1500, and he showed me other items he owned from the two footers - non of which was very interesting or unique.

I checked the headlight out on every picture that was every taken of a Maine two foot engine, and the only resemblance was to Monson #1 or # 2 headlight.

The "dubber" who lived in Coopers Mills claimed that the big house up the river from his house had original lights from a WW&F Coach. He also claimed to have oil lights from WW&F cars. I was never able to verify any of this. He claimed to have owned the two boxcars that were left on a siding above the Coppers Mills station, but they had been burned and the Sandy River boys got all the hardware.

I would definitely follow up on the fellow from Coopers Mills to show you what he has. But don't buy unless you can verify their origin. His name was Clinton (Clayton) Whitehorse or a similar name.He made his living gathering antique items by somewhat questionable methods and selling them on the cheap. to the wealthier people he know, like Mr. Brann.
Allan Fisher

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 08:02:27 PM »
Is this the guy on Route 17 Allan? I think he has a yard full of "stuff".
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:21:24 AM »
No - that is Elmer's Barn. Anyone who has not visited Elmer's Barn will never fully understand Maine.

The guy who has the junk yard across the street from Elmer's is also not the guy I am talking about.

The guy I'm talking about swears to this day that you can see No 6's tender poke up from the swamp in Whitefield occasionally and the  whole engine is there in the swamp.
Allan Fisher

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 06:30:42 PM »
Hi Allan,

You're spot on about Elmer's.  It's an amazing place, you need a couple hours just to go through all the rooms and stuff.  I think he has a little bit of everything made before WW II.  BTW - I was in there back in the Spring and a film crew was on location shooting a piece for the Discovery Channel.  Elmer's daughter said that the show would air towards the end of October.  Anyone who watches the DC can advise on an air date.  The program will feature locations in Maine.

Stewart
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:48:24 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 11:00:46 PM »
Wait is that true that #6's remains are still in the swamp it wreaked in?  :o
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 06:59:15 AM »
No.

#6 was scrapped in Wiscasset. It was damaged in the roundhouse fire that claimed #7 as well. Both were scrapped (along with #2, #3, and #4) as the yard was junked. #5 was dismantled in 1912 (following a burnt crown sheet accident) but the boiler was reused as a low-pressure boiler for the Wiscasset shop; the boiler scrapped when the yard was junked. #8 was scrapped at its wreck site, later. #9 went to CT, then back home to the WW&F.)

The boiler for WW&F #1 was re-used as a culvert just north of Whitefield. I imagine that it's still there.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum