Author Topic: Mixed Trains?  (Read 9590 times)

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
Mixed Trains?
« on: November 17, 2010, 10:43:01 AM »
Does the WW&F museum ever run mixed trains? The original WW&F ran a lot of mixed trains, (as did all the two-footers). Besides, the museum doesn't appear to have too much passenger equipment.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Mixed Trains?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »
Yes. On special events, including photo charters, a mixed train is often run. On some work weekends, it is not uncommon to have a real "mixed" train of passengers (volunteer track workers) and freight (ballast) on the same train.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 02:57:04 PM »
June 2009

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 03:09:44 PM »
I really think that for a line with few coaches, it would be more realistic to just couple on some boxcars in front of the coaches, just for realism.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
Well, first off, we only have one boxcar.

Because of the opacity of wood, it is difficult to see through or around it... making operating a train with it in the consist a bit more difficult. (Remember, we only use hand signals - no radios - which *is* more realistic.)

And don't forget the extra weight the car adds to the train. Number 10 is a great locomotive, but like WW&F #1 is really not suited for long trains.

The standard weekend consist is coach 8 and excursion car 103. This would be a typical two-footer consist for a small "excursion train" of the era. (Car 103, while an Edaville creation, is very similar in design to the open excursion cars from the SR&RL.) Larger excursions typically used more "unusual" passenger equipment - so adding a caboose (which we do when a handicap person needs access) to the "excursion" would also make sense.

So, in essence, our regular weekend train makeup is a *plausible* consist for a two-footer excursion for the era we represent. Other train makeups are reserved for special events - which keeps it all interesting.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
And don't forget that, until brakes were installed on Coach 3, Coach 8, and flatcar 126, the caboose or flatcar 118 were used for braking power.  As James mentioned, it's hard to see through the boxcar, but the flatcar had brakes and is "transparent" when passing signals along the train.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:00:36 PM »
I really think that for a line with few coaches, it would be more realistic to just couple on some boxcars in front of the coaches, just for realism.
I agree with you. I think there is only 1 other WW&F boxcar that survives but I dont think the museum that owns it plans to sell it anytime soon.  :) ;) ::)
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 07:02:28 PM »
June 2009

Nice photo. I really like it. :D
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Yes, the nearby Boothbay Railway Village has the other surviving boxcar. It is under cover in their train shed (roof with no sides) on display. The car has been kept up for cosmetic purposes only, with no plans on running it. It is in an excellent location where it is, and goes well with the other Maine cars in their small collection.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 05:12:55 AM »
For other special events, charters, or sometimes an early morning photo freight on regular days, we have been known to run a four car mixed, consisting of the two flat cars, box car, and a coach, usually coach 3. We run mixed trains very frequently. In fact the WW&F has been recognized by many railfans for how we operate when we do mixed trains or freight trains. During events like the picnic, every little detail is planned out. We even use the 1935 model A truck to stage a most excellent scene. Note, there are a lot of videos of mixed/freight trains at the current WW&F on YouTube. If you haven't seen any of these, please feel free to watch them, they are deffinately worth watching.

Kevin Madore

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
    • My Flicker Albums
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 10:49:13 PM »
Here's a shot of one of the mixed trains that was run during the 2010 Annual Picnic...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=337275&nseq=80

/Kevin

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 10:24:56 AM »
Great photo Kevin. Not very often you see a load of rail behind a steam engine, and I remember how heavy that one car alone was. The 10 worked extra hard shoving the train northbound that trip, and I must say steamed amazingly well that trip.