Author Topic: SR&RL #9 and #21 photos?  (Read 14851 times)

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
SR&RL #9 and #21 photos?
« on: October 26, 2010, 03:20:22 PM »
I'm doing a research project on the Maine 2 Ft. gauge lines, and I need good photos of #21 and #9, and I need them to be after they were fitted with electric headlights.

Steve Klare

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Narrow Gauge Films
Re: SR&RL #9 and #21 photos?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 08:51:35 PM »
If you find a copy of H. T. Crittenden's The Maine Scenic Route there is an appendix with scale drawings of many of the SR&RL engines and cars. #9 and #21 are in there in their most modern form.

It's a really good book too. It's much more historically based than Maine Two Footers, which is good in a different way.

Mine arrived when I was in High School and I read the whole thing in one day, because it was so interesting..
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:54:12 PM by Steve Klare »

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 08:38:20 AM »
I'm trying to find them in an online bookstore. I've read the Maine Two-Footers before, but I can't seem to be able to buy a copy thats under $80! I'll just have to get it from the library.

Steve Klare

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Narrow Gauge Films
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 08:53:35 AM »
The Maine Scenic Route is on E-bay quite a lot.

It's not as famous as The Maine Two Footers, so it's probably not as collectible (<<$$).

-it does have a lot of useful information in it. Henry Crittenden was a model builder, so he was very big on drawings.

I think the drawings are in the book are 1/8" scale. Double 'em in size and they are perfect for On2.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:23:54 AM »
I think the Museum store has an original copy of The Maine Two Footers for quite a bit less than $80.  But there's only 1 or 2 copies left.

I also believe we have a copy of Two Feet Between the Lakes as well.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 01:38:56 PM »
James, you are correct about the latter book and I think I saw a $200 price tag on it when I was in there during the work weekend.
Duncan

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:27:19 AM »
I am getting that book sometimes, but until then, could someone who owns it just scan me the photos?

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 11:10:24 AM »
If you find a copy of H. T. Crittenden's The Maine Scenic Route there is an appendix with scale drawings of many of the SR&RL engines and cars. #9 and #21 are in there in their most modern form.

This may vary with edition. I have a hardbound copy that only has drawings for #1 and #5. I would urge anyone who purchases a copy to get a good look at it first.

-John

Bill Fortier

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »

This may vary with edition. I have a hardbound copy that only has drawings for #1 and #5. I would urge anyone who purchases a copy to get a good look at it first.

-John

The copy I have has drawings for LR&HS "James Wyman" (SR&RL 16), SR&RL Nos. 8, 9, 10, 16 (rebuilt), 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, and 24. Also, RPO No. 6, Combines 14 and 15, Coach 22, Parlor 9, and Caboose 556. Small but readable.

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 10:55:22 AM »
I will need the drawings, but I also would like some actual photos of them, for my website.

Steve Klare

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Narrow Gauge Films
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:34:43 AM »
True: What's in the appendix varies a lot with the edition.

I saw a copy of "The Maine Scenic Route"  in the Rangeley Public Library that didn't have the big appendix full of drawings.

Mine is a pretty late edition. I got it as a birthday gift when I was  16, which would be 1978.  The content sounds like Bill's copy.

Not too long after I got mine, it wasn't listed in the railroad magazines book sellers's ads anymore.

The advantage we have these days with drawings like these is once you scan them into a PC, you can make them full size for any scale you want.

What a pain it must have been for people in the 70's and earlier. I have a model car book from the 1950s with drawings. First step is to draw a grid across the page and use the coordinates to redraw the figures full size. The first time I built one of these models I cheated and made it the size in the book (I was 12). It was way too small to function very well.

-now I'm building a full sized one. (-Making up for the impatience of my youth!)

Tim Hairston

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 08:11:57 PM »
Theres good pictures of #9, #21, and #22 in the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroads

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 08:45:58 PM »
Yes, I have that book, but I need #9 and #21 with electric headlights.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 07:47:33 AM »
The book Sunset on the Sandy River by Elliott Steward has photos of most of the engines that were around in 1935 - '36.  I know there are good photos of #9 with the electric headlight, not sure about the #21. 

A note on the book - I didn't have this book until recently because I didn't want to see photos of the railroad being torn up.  I finally decided to get a copy from the SR&RL table at the Phillips train show this year.  Now that I have read it a couple of times I recomend having a copy, there are there are many good photos of motive power, rolling stock and the line around Phillips before the scrappers came in.

The book is available through the SR&RL RR gift shop.