Author Topic: Posting times  (Read 11957 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Posting times
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:51:17 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Posting times has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

James Patten wrote:
I've gotten a few emails saying that the times of posts seem to be in another time zone.

Seeing that I've only gotten the emails since the time change, I'm assuming it has to do with that.  I don't know if the board is smart enough to know about that.  Perhaps not.  I have shifted the board time by 1 hour toward GMT.

I'll know once I post this message if that works.

James Patten replied:
Apparently my shifting the time does work: I posted at 8 PM, it says 8 PM.

I may have to remember come April (or is it March) during the next time shift that we'll need to shift back.

fjknight replied:
James,

There are at least a couple of postings out there for times later today. The last one in '2 foot gauge model railroads' is 10:29PM and the one in 'What car should we build next?' is 9:47PM. While the one I posted earlier at 5:18PM is the actual EST time that it was posted. Looks like it must be using local PC time or there is some other bug.

I am posting this at 8:13PM EST.

Frank

James Patten replied:
I think the individual user can set their default times.  I know Ira's in Colorado (2 zones away) and there are some UK posters here.

Maybe I'll do some investigative work.

jwhoughton replied:
James,

I just noticed at the lower right of each page is a note that says "All times are GMT - 8 Hours".  Do you control that "timing" or is it built into the software somehow?

MikeW replied:
I believe the forum administrator can set the time zone in the Administraion Panel/Configuration page.  That may fix the problem.

Allan Fisher replied:
I am posting from California - 3 hours difference from Maine.

James Patten replied:
Well jwhoughton and Allan are both in California - 3 TZ away.  Mine reads GMT - 5 hours.  So what the board sees as the time may controlled by what your system's clock says.

Although I changed my time to GMT - 3 and did a reload of the page and it did not change.

Allan's post "I am from California" says 1:56 AM.  Allan did you post at 1:56 AM or did you post it at 10:56 PM?

Ira Schreiber replied:
It is 6:13 P.M. MST as I post this.
Ira

Ira Schreiber replied:
The system clock shows 8:13 P.M.EST so, there is the zonal differential. (How's that for teckie talk)
Ira

Stewart Rhine replied:
James, FYI, I just posted a message at 9:55 pm and the time stamp says it was posted 45 minutes later.

Another subject - What do you think about having a dedicated "general photo" section.  As you know, I have a bunch of Now & Then views taken 5 - 10 years apart.  Other members, like Steve H. and John M. have older shots to post.  Would it be better to have a photos section for these views?

Stewart

James Patten replied:
However your message was posted only a few minutes after your 9:55 message.  I suspect there's a time problem with the hardware on which this lives (which I have no control over).

I don't think we need a photo section, however anybody that starts a thread with pictures in them might want to put *PIC* or something like that on it to warn low bandwidth users.

Stewart Rhine replied:
James,  Why does the word "switchman" appear under certain members names?  Is it driven by the number of posts they have made?

Ira Schreiber replied:
Thanks for asking, Stewart, as I had the same question.

James Patten replied:
There's a ranking system which assigns titles based on the number of posts.  At 50 you are given "Switchman".  It goes up from there.  I'll be mysterious and let you discover them for yourselves.

Dave Buczkowski replied:
And I thought there was a new position at the Museum that I wouldn't qualify for!
Dave
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum