Author Topic: When Should Albion Day 2007 Be?  (Read 6335 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
When Should Albion Day 2007 Be?
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:32:26 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
When Should Albion Day 2007 Be? has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

James Patten wrote:
A poll regarding a second Albion Day in 2007.  If a seasonal granularity is too great, I can change the poll (or do a new one) with months instead.

Joe Fox replied:
As I have also heard from other people, one Albion day is enough in my opinion because we have enough stuff to take care of at the museum. The only way that I think we could have 2 Albion days, is if we have a minimum of 10 guys stay at the museum to take care of things that need to be finished before snow fall, for example, the ballast in the flange way between the Trestle, and mile post 6. Or if only a small crew shows up, then keep a few people at the museum and take the rest to Albion. From what I hear, a large crew usually shows up on Albion day.

Joe

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Joe;
I don't think one day is enough in Albion. Certainly I don't want to take away from necessary work to be done at Sheepscot but I think the time has come to do more. See Section 10, Part 2 of the Long Range Plan where Albion Station is discussed. If there are volunteers that are interested in helping preserve Albion Station then they should not be discouraged. After all, it's still the WW & F Ry.

James;
Than ks for posting a pole so soon. We can refine it to a month and weekend when the time comes.
Dave

Dave Buczkowski replied:
I meant thanks for posting a poll so quickly. Must check my spelling more often....

Stephen Hussar replied:
As I have also heard from other people, one Albion day is enough in my opinion...From what I hear, a large crew usually shows up on Albion day. Joe
Joe, a few years ago on Albion Day there were 3 of us that went north, plus Carl and Phil who were already there.

Joe Fox replied:
Oh,

I didn't mean to discourage people from going to Albion, but I think that if we had another Albion day, then it would be good if enough people could stay behind, if there was enough volunteers, so that trains  can be run.

Stewart Rhine replied:
The key to people going to Albion is the type of work.  The two times I went, we extended the mainline and there were 10 - 12 people on the track crew.  Having 2 Albion days would benefit both groups since track work is what our group does well.  If we stick to 1 day we should try to get more  people with an extra attraction.  Next year we should take the hand car so attendees can ride the mainline down and back during lunch or when the track work is done.  Note to Steve H. good photo ops!  

Stewart

Stephen Hussar replied:
Great idea -- bring the handcar, but don't tell Vern...I'm afraid when he sees their new blacksmith shop he may never come back to Sheepscot!!!

Dave Crow replied:
Nice to see the brakes are in place!

Joe Fox replied:
Does Vern have the brakes for the coaches yet? WHat about 126? That has been waiting since February.

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
Joe,  The problem with putting brakes on Coach 8 and flat 126 is that they are on the wrong trucks right now.  The J&S trucks will be going under Coach 8 and Coach 8's trucks will be going under flat 126.  Once the truck swap is complete brakes can go on those cars.

Coach 3 will be the first car to get brakes.

Stewart

Joe Fox replied:
Ok, well, Coach 3 has been waiting for brakes for a while I think.

Joe

Bill Sample replied:
To get back to selecting a date, please remember 27-29 April is not good on account of the Spring Work Weekend down south.

Stewart Rhine replied:
You may want to avoid the weekend of May 19th and 20th too.  

James Patten replied:
Has anyone given any further thought to a second Albion Day this year, or an Albion Day at a different time of year?

Whatever is decided, Carl Buitta should be given advanced warning of a couple of months at least so that they can prepare for us.

Josh Botting replied:
If we choose to do a day durring a day when we have a regular train service, we would have to ensure that we have enough train crew to man Sheepscot....

Mike Fox replied:
I am willing to do a Sunday before the fall so it would not interfere with the museum or my other priorities.
Mike

Stephen Hussar replied:
A Sunday would be fine with me as well...

Dave Buczkowski replied:
All;
While on a photography trip for an updated Guidebook, Bill Reidy and I stopped in at Albion Station yesterday. A quick walk of the "mainline" revealed that many (maybe a majority) of the ties are ripe for replacement. We didn't check them all but there were many rotten ones . I don't know what the plans are for this year's Albion Day but tie replacement should be high on the list.
Dave

Joe Fox replied:
As said in the museums main line discussion, why replace ties that don't get traveled on, unless they really need it. By that I mean, they don't look like a tie any more. If they are only hollow on the inside and no trains run over them, they are fine. Just take not that those ties will need to be replaced if a train ever does run over them.

Joe

James Patten replied:
why replace ties that don't get traveled on, unless they really need it.

The only problem with this line of thinking is that someday the WW&F hopes to do something up at Albion.  Additionally I think Carl would like to be able to offer rides of some sort, that's why they got that engine which was reguaged.

Joe Fox replied:
Oh. Do they have any cars for it to pull, besides the flanger that is being rebuilt?

Joe

James Patten replied:
No cars other than the flanger, but I think that's what he was going to use.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum