Author Topic: New train show in Phillips  (Read 7608 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
New train show in Phillips
« on: August 31, 2010, 10:02:19 AM »
Matt Sharp is working at putting together a train show for Phillips, similar to the Father's Day weekend show that Boothbay Railway Village had for a couple of years.  It will be weekend of October 16 (the weekend after the WW&F's work weekend).  I don't know much else at this point.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: New train show in Phillips
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:43:04 PM »
I received a letter in the mail from Matt Sharp about the train show.  Here it is:

Phillips Railroad Weekend - Come join us for our 1st annual railfair
Saturday October 16, 2010, 9 - 4
Old Machine Shop (old school gym), Depot St, Phillips.

Friday night setup 6 - 8
Sunday (optional) if you want to run trains and just hang out
Dealer tables are Free.  Contact Matt Sharp for info.

There will be a lot going on in the town of Phillips over the weekend.  The station will be open.  The dealer/module show will be held at the old car barn.  The Historical Society will be open and the train will be running.  We are also working on some other possible events.

I'm going to try to make it, and I think the WW&F should have a table there.  Contact us if you'd like to help man a table.  The more the better - it will give the rest of us plenty of opportunity to check out the goings-on about town.

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
Narrow Gauge Rail Fair, Phillips, Saturday, Oct. 16, 9am-4pm,  This information is taken from The Franklin Journal. I have no contact information for Matt Sharp and don't know where to find him.  The contact listed is: Dick Matthews, PO Box 25, Phillips, Me. 04966, 207-639-2630,  dick@aninnkeepersjournal.com   The article says "The Revitilazation Committee invites everyone to come join us." No charge for admission. I will be setting up a display about The Franklin Somerset and Kennebec Railway, but cannot get there till about noon due to another meeting.  If this set up session Fri. night is real, I may be able to go up.  But this is not mentioned in the FJ article.  Maybe someone from our group knows more. I'd like to combine efforts of a WW&F table with my FS&K display. I'll add anything I find further.  Glenn
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:25:21 PM by Glenn Byron »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 06:45:23 PM »
Matt's email is tntsharp (at) hotmail (dot) com

According to Matt, breakfast and lunch is being served in the station building, which is open to the public for the first time in probably a very long time.  The Historical Society is open, and trains will be running.

Glenn, if there's no room nearby the WW&F table, please come by and introduce yourself.

Myself, Stewart and Cindy, and most likely Ed G. will be at the show.  Maybe others.

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 08:24:23 PM »
Hi James,  That email address (with corrections) is no good.  Email me if you really have contact info for this show .  I have not heard back from the other contact either. Now I've fooled with the address some more and looks like it went this time. (email sent) Matt Sharp,  Hello,  Read about this event in Franklin Journal.  I'm researching The Franklin, Somerset, and Kennebec Railway that was partially completed between the Farmington end of The Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railway and New Sharon with eventual plans to cross the Kennebec River at Waterville to connect with The Wiscasset,Waterville, and Farmington Railway in Winslow.  My work up to this point involves the years 1897 to the turn of the century.  I would like to set up a small display and perhaps find other enthusiasts interested in this project.  I cannot be there at 9 due to a local historical society meeting here in Smithfield, Maine.  Looks like I would be in Phillips a little after noon.  What should I do to make arrangements?  What costs are involved?  My cell phone is:  491-1234  Thanks, Glenn Byron,  PO Box 113,  Smithfield, ME. 04978.  An email response is fine.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 08:35:40 PM by Glenn Byron »

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 09:15:11 AM »
Have now heard from both contacts in Phillips.  There is a set up session tonight from 6-8pm.  I am going to Phillips this evening to set up a FS&K display.  Hopefully The WW&F display can be beside mine in order that we may work together for coverage as I can't be there on Sat. till about noon.

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 10:09:57 PM »
Went to Phillips tonight.  What a wonderful setting for the show.  At the old SR&RL station on Depot Street in the gym that was an engine house in a prior life, now train enthusiasts are exhibiting wares not seen usually.  Looks like a full house tomorrow.  I set up a FS&K display and The WW&F Museum has a reservation right next to me.  Hopefully they will be there early as I have to be in a meeting elsewhere and will be in about noon.  Met many others setting up who had train goodies to offer and much enthusiasm.  If you are into narrow gauge, and you wouldn't be here if you weren't, Phillips is where you should be tommorrow.  The town will be ALIVE and don't forget to visit The Train Room at The Phillips Historical Society house.  What could be better, Fall in Maine and Narrow Gauge in the hills of Franklin County?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:18:31 AM by Glenn Byron »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 08:28:58 PM »
The first Phillips train show seemed to be well attended.  I took the 1 PM trip on the SR&RL and they had a full+ coach, so they put on a caboose on the back.  I got my first cab ride in Loco #4 - an interesting device!  Got to see the inside of the station building for the first time too - the public area isn't too interesting (other than the cupola windows) but the office area is really nice (still looking probably as it did in railroad days).

The Sandy River was running pretty full.  And the fall colors were out in force.