Author Topic: MNG Relocation Feelers  (Read 28346 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
MNG Relocation Feelers
« on: August 31, 2010, 06:38:48 AM »
As Maine Narrow Gauge's efforts in scouting out relocation locations is already well known on this board (see Bridgton and SR&RL topics), I thought it appropriate that discussion about the effort as a whole be started.

I belong to a Yahoo email group started by Gary Kohler, "Friends of the Two Footers".  Last week Gary brought up MNG's relocation efforts in an effort to get some traffic on the group.  Boy did it ever.  There was lots of speculation at the beginning and very few hard facts.  Now more facts have come out.

MNG essentially tendered an RFP to the towns of Boothbay, Bridgton, Gray, Monson, and Phillips regarding a potential move of some portion of MNG's equipment to those towns.  The biggest things MNG wants is a) enclosed shop space, and b) covered storage for the equipment.  If relocated to Boothbay, Boothbay Railway Village would somehow be involved.  If to Phillips, the SR&RL would somehow be involved.  We've read excerpts from Bridgton and Phillips but I've heard nothing from Boothbay, Gray, or Monson.  Frankly I'm a little surprised at not hearing anything about the Boothbay RFP in our local newspaper. 

Neither the WW&F nor Alna received an RFP, which is frankly fine with me.  I think the secret of our success is our carefully controlled growth and focus, and a sudden influx of equipment without a place to put it would destroy that.

Additionally, I've heard that Sue Davis is no longer Executive Director.  I haven't heard if they are looking for a new ED or not.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: MNG Relocation Feelers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:47:49 AM »
A move toward Boothbay would be great as it would obviously bring more tourism/dollars our way ... but I do believe Bridgton makes the most sense for them.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 06:58:09 PM »
For the record, the WW&F did receive an RFP- which I thought made it to a board meeting but now I'm wondering if James doesn't remember.  Informal discussion with Sue Davis during the coach 3 closing indicated to her that there wasn't too much opportunity with our organization to meet their requirements.

Jason

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 07:01:25 PM »
I guess I mixed my groups up - there's nothing on this board about the Phillips efforts with respect to this, so let me give you all a link: http://www.dailybulldog.com/db/?p=5496

Not mentioned here but elsewhere is the fact that a portion of the old roundhouse still remains, and of course there's the grand old station building.  The covered bridge would have to be rebuilt to connect Phillips with the SR&RL group.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 07:03:18 PM »
For the record, the WW&F did receive an RFP- which I thought made it to a board meeting but now I'm wondering if James doesn't remember. 

That may have been the May board meeting which I missed most of.  #!&@%!! work!  Miss one meeting you miss a lot.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 07:19:41 PM »
James,
I don't suppose you could provide us with a link to that group, Friends of the Two Footers?
I'd appreciate it.
Pete.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:44:45 PM »
I don't think I can provide a link.  It's Yahoo Groups, and I don't use Yahoo much and I can't seem to find it.  It's also supposed to be a closed group, only members can post to the list.

I suppose you could email Gary Kohler (m2fq at aol dot com) and ask him to put you on the list.

Dale Reynolds

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 05:58:37 AM »
having grown up in maine and having visited all 5 of the 2' railroads and mng recently, i think monson is the best fit for the mng equipment. tons of covered space, and lots of row to rebuild the rr, thanks to cliff olson and his lovely wife suzanne. lord knows monson area could use some stimulus! dale

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 10:08:10 AM »
I suspect that there is a fundamental problem for railroad museums. To get a lot of paying customers, you need a good location (such as the Portland waterfront). Unfortunately, the land in such areas is very valuable, and expenses will be high. At the opposite end of the spectrum, large quantities of inexpensive land are typically located in fairly remote areas (Monson comes to mind). I suppose that I am somewhat biased having a summer home near Bridgton and volunteering in Alna, but I feel that Bridgton and Boothbay are the best locations to compromise between these two extremes.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 12:12:12 PM »
I'm curious as to why Gray was on the list. It's not near any historic two foot R.O.W. is it?
KD

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 01:07:40 PM »
Hi Dave,

You're right, none of the original two-footers were in Gray.  But Gray has a fair amount of unencumbered ROW built for the Portland & Lewiston interurban and close proximity to both Portland and I-495.

It just goes to show how seriously the folks at MNG want to turn things around.  Like the WW&F and the folks in Phillips, they keenly feel the need to protect their collection and fulfill their mission. 

More strength and success to all!!!

Best Regards,
Glenn

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »
The Town of Monson's selectmen have formally expressed interest in being considered as a satellite site for MNG and presumably will be responding in due course to a RFP from MNG.

Thanks to Dale Reynolds for his kind words of support.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 09:57:22 PM »
 ??? :) ;)But if the Museum moves, then what about the museum's track? Will they take it with them or just leave it. Plus if they do move at least they dont need to worry about the salty air that slowly deteriorating their railway collection that's stored outdoors.
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 01:30:24 PM »
Hi Matthew,

You ask a perfectly valid question, but I don't think anyone will be able to answer it at the moment. 

It's still very early in the decision-making process and I understand the folks at Maine Narrow Gauge are still awaiting proposals from the interested parties.  The important thing is that everyone wants to see MNG make a good decision based upon the proposal responses they receive.  Once that decision is made, the more tactical decisions - like what to do with the track - will start being addressed.

Please stay tuned.  I'm sure everyone is waiting to hear what comes next.

Best Regards,
Glenn

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 02:57:12 PM »
Thanks and I will. Its great to be back here aftrer a long vacation from here.  :) ;) :D
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.