Author Topic: A few stories ...  (Read 321677 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: A few stories ...
« Reply #420 on: December 31, 2022, 01:46:43 PM »
The Nail -

A recently retired fellow had been hearing about his local railway museum so he decided to visit one Saturday.   He met a couple of volunteers that were rebuilding a wood bodied boxcar and they asked if he wanted to help.  He had carpentry experience so he jumped right in adding sheathing to the inside of the car.  Before he knew it, the day was over and he headed home.  His wife asked how things went and he told her about the project.  She seemed concerned that he would spend too much time there so he said I may go back every once in a while.  Later as he took his keys out of his pocket he found a nail left over from the sheathing job.  The next weekend he told his wife that he accidently brought home something that belonged to the railroad and needed go back to return it.  He spent another day working on the boxcar and making new friends. At the end of the day he drove home with, you guessed it... the nail still in his pocket.  He told his wife well I had such a nice time meeting new friends that I forgot to return the item so two weeks later he went back to the museum.  That was 15 years ago and he is still a regular volunteer with a nail in his pocket.     

Brian Whitney

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 31, 2022, 04:36:16 PM »
What a great story to start the new year!
Whoever has "the nail" could be any one of the many great volunteers at WWFry. Or perhaps at another railroad.
We are lucky to have so many dedicated volunteers.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 31, 2022, 05:16:45 PM »
It's all part of a Fred plot to keep visitors from sitting down.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 01, 2023, 02:27:09 PM »
That sounds like something that Fred would do.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 09, 2023, 08:21:13 PM »
Today was the second Saturday of the Victorian Christmas Market event.  I tended the bonfire at Alna Center as I have for years, it's a nice way to speak with visitors to see where they come from or how they heard about the railroad.  A local friend, Tucker delivered a load of mill slash prior to the first Saturday and the pile was near the fire pit.  This afternoon I noticed a fellow looking through the wood and he pulled a piece out and carried it towards the pit.  I thought he just wanted to help with the fire as people sometimes do but he brought the piece over to me.  He asked "may I buy this piece of wood from you?"   My slightly confused look prodded him to add "our long-time family dog just passed and I'd like to make a special headstone for him".   I had noticed that his little son and daughter were quiet while most of the kids were running around and playing on the stone pile.  I said "take whatever piece you want as a gift".   He thanked me and showed it to his kids which brought a slight smile to his daughters face.   As they boarded the train I thought "this is the kind of thing that makes our museum a great place to volunteer". 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 05:19:54 AM by Stewart "Start" Rhine »