Author Topic: Postcard Placement  (Read 5997 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Postcard Placement
« on: July 11, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »
I am at a loss as to the exact location this postcard was made from. I have 2 choices for you to ponder.

1st. Is this train Approaching South Bridgton from the South? This is the omne I think, going by the land.

Or is this train approaching Bridgton from the south, and the excavation is for the Harrison Branch?

Probably other possibilities out there, and I'd love to hear them, but these are the two I thought of.

**Edit**

Helps if I add a photo.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:18:40 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Postcard Placement
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 04:36:11 PM »
Mike,

This picture reminds me of the area between Hancock Pond and Bridgton we walked on our last row hike.  It seems too flat to be the row between Bridgton and Harrison.  Having walked about half of that area noticed more of an incline than can be detected in that picture.  I would put my vote for some of the flatter areas where we parked and walked, possibly where the beavers had done their handiwork.

Duncan

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:17:16 AM »
Is that Deep Cut and Fessenden Hill in the background?

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 11:47:11 AM »
I wondered about that but figured that was too easy to be missed by Mike.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:37:56 PM »
I wondered that myself, which would make that the Ingalls Road area. That's the only location to get a straight on shot of the cut. Very possible. There is no location on the card so that's why I'm asking.

I wish there was a little more foreground in the postcard, to see if there was a road there or anything.
Mike

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 11:26:35 AM »
I noticed the cut in the background first. But if you look at the roadbed in the foreground it seems to be raised slightly yet the earth on the right side appears to have been cut into.  When we did our most recent hike in that area, much of the ground we walked seemed to be more level with the roadbed rather than raised.  On the other hand, that picture is vintage and we are now about 80 years from when it would have been taken.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 07:19:53 PM »
Ingalls Hill, if that is the correct name for it (Dana?), in this angle if it where we now suspect, rises up to the right side of the train (as you are looking at it). The photographer/painter would today be getting his feet wet in the bog that is there.
Mike