Author Topic: Is MNG running steam any more?  (Read 21115 times)

Kevin Madore

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
    • My Flicker Albums
Is MNG running steam any more?
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:04:22 AM »
Folks,

Is the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum still running steam?   I haven't seen any photos of #4 out in quite a while and the museum's website makes no mention of any steam operations.   What's the latest up there....anyone know?

Thanks,

/Kevin

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: Is MNG running steam any more?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »
There have been some dispiriting developments in the long house at MNG.

A fire burnt the chassis of #7 and the stay bolts of #4 need some attention. you can look at the MNG Forum for all the gruesome details.

So in light of these happenings, MNG will not run steam this summer.  There is a minuscule chance of #7 being operable for this years Polar Express, but that is very unlikely.  There is a much better chance that it will run for next years season.
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 04:08:09 PM »
The fire damage to #7 was mostly limited to the fireman's side of the cab and the water tank.

The tank is a complete loss, as the already thinned sheet metal was burned clean through in several areas. The insurance on the locomotive will cover the price of a completely new tank, and the last that I heard was that MNG was bidding out the construction of said tank.

The upper framework of the cab will probably need to be replaced, but the flooring looks like it is salvageable.

The locomotive frame, trucks, running gear, castings, and anything else I forgot to mention that was at cab floor level or below appeared to have escaped even minor damage.

Luckily, the vast majority of #7's critical parts (boiler, accessories, piping, cab roof, etc) were either off site or stored in a different location when the fire occured. In fact, having swapped #7 into the location where we would normally have #4 stored saved that locomotive from any possibly disasterous damage. As it is, #7 was already taken apart, and will need far less work to get back on schedule than would have been needed otherwise.

Speaking of #4, she has been laid up since late November 2009 with staybolt issues. What can be done to make her operational again is currently being investigated, so stay tuned for updates on that.

What can be said is that there is probably not going to be steam on the MNG this year. However, that doesn't mean that things can change in the near future.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 09:50:16 PM »
 :o ::) ;)Well at least #7 is still safe and can still be restored instead of heading for the scrap yards.
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:12:52 PM »
Thank god the fire didn't do too much damage to #7. I think if the MNG aren't going to run #8, they should at least put her on display in the museum til' they're ready to put her in service.

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 04:28:35 PM »
I think if the MNG aren't going to run #8, they should at least put her on display in the museum til' they're ready to put her in service.

This has been discussed in the past, #8 is simply too big to fit in the current museum building.

#4 spent many years in the museum until she was brought back to steam early this decade, but that was the only locomotive that was ever actually inside the museum.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:55:24 AM by Bill Piche »
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »
Aww man.. >:( B&SR #8 is one of my favorites! Couldn't they find somewhere to put her?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 08:08:21 PM »
Zak, he means inside the museum building, on display. Tight quarters.
It is still on the property, only out in the enginehouse, or what was left of it before this past weekend.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 09:30:03 AM »
Zak, he means inside the museum building, on display. Tight quarters.
It is still on the property, only out in the enginehouse, or what was left of it before this past weekend.

Thats what I meant.... I just wanted to be able to see it when I go there...

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 11:19:38 AM »
#8 is safely tucked away in the east end of the engine house. Our current focus is the rebuilding of the west end that was damaged by fire. We are well along and should have the roof on by this Saturday. The rebuild is better than what existed but will never be as nice as what is at WW&F. Remember, we are a tenant, not an owner, big difference here. Regardless, our mission, like everyone else is to protect and restore the equipment.

In the mean time, #7's boiler is at Alna getting a major rebuild. Cross our fingers that we can have it all back together a year from now.

So if you are in Portland, especially on a Saturday, stop by and you can see #8 in the engine house.

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 08:55:56 AM »
Is #8 dismantled right now?

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 07:07:30 PM »
No!

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 08:56:40 AM »
Thats great! Now I can see her when I go to MNGRR this year!

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 11:35:16 PM »
Does the museum plan on puting #8 for display only now or is she still keep in operating condition?  ???
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 09:10:08 AM »
Number 8 has not been in operating condition for several years.  it is likely she will be displayed where people can see her rather than being holed up in the back of the engine house.  This will also allow our main diesel to be stored inside.
A spike saved is a spike earned.