Author Topic: Norfolk Southern announces new steam program  (Read 5216 times)

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Norfolk Southern announces new steam program
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 06:32:11 PM »
While I was a resident of the South (Georgia), I scrounged up some money and took a weekend trip to Chattanooga. We rode behind the 610. the 4501 was scheduled to be on a steam trip the previous weekend in our neck of the woods but the train arrived behind a diesel (repainted into Southern livery for an anniversary celebration). If memory serves, the answer I recieved at Chatanooga was the 4501 was sideklined for an overheated bearing, or bearing related issue. One beautiful locomotive. Southern Green is a stunning color in the sunshine. TVRM is an excellent place to visit, and hope to return again someday.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 06:43:55 PM »
This is an absolutely stunning announcement! I understand that NS has a Facebook page on which they are soliciting suggestions from enthusiasts about other potential locomotives, possible excursion routes and so forth. I have heard that the CEO of NS is a card-carrying rail enthusiast, and this seems to prove it. TVRM is the logical place to initiate the new program, since several shop employees are former NS steam program veterans, and TVRM and NS have a long-standing relationship.

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:09:25 AM »
Now if they can just be encouraged to find a modern, reliable, fast, thoroughbred passenger locomotive...
Hmm, wonder where there might be one of those?
Gawdon

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 11:56:30 AM »
I'd love to see 611 back in steam but if I had a wish-list for the Mid-Atlantic area, how about one of the Reading T-1's?
Moxie Bootlegger

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 12:06:06 PM »
Mike, was your trip to Chattanooga about 1980. I went for the 4501 trip and found it pulled by a diseasel, too. If it was, we probably passed in the aisles somewhere. When we got back, we found that we had left the lights on my mother-in-law's 1978 Ford and it took another car and jumper cable forever to get enough of a charge back in the battery before the car would crank.
Jock Ellis