Author Topic: Alien equipment at MNGRR  (Read 14685 times)

Mark Edry

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
Alien equipment at MNGRR
« on: November 06, 2008, 10:04:52 PM »
I was looking through some old photos and found some of MNGRR from around 1998. I was surprised to see a European tank loco, appears German, and what looks like a zoo train passenger car. I thought MNGRR only bought Maine or Maine-like stuff from Edaville.

Any idea what these are, where they came from, or where they went?

Here are the pix:

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Alien equipment at MNGRR
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
Well, the German "teakettle" is a sibling to the engines at Boothbay. I belive she came from an operation in New Hampshire that went under and wound up on the Loon Mountain RR.
The "zoo-car," IIRC, is in fact a trailer from one of the 2' railbusses (possibly built or moodified by Edaville's shops.)

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 07:51:50 AM »
IIRC the German-built locomotive belonged to the late Thorne Meade, son of the late Edgar Meade of latter-day B&HR fame. 

Matthew Martin

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 10:23:42 PM »
I saw this in the shop at Boothbay at the same time #9's boiler was there. It looked like they were waiting for funding to restore the dilapidated engine.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 11:32:43 PM »
There are some other engines of that type (Henschel) around. I think that Boothbay had one of their Henschels in their shop and also had one from Loon Mountain ski area. I'm not sure which engine was where and when, but these engines aren't as rare as one would first think!

Matthew Martin

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 06:43:33 AM »
Im positive it was the old run-down loon mountain locomotive as it had some sort of design on the side of the cab saying "Loon Mountain R.R."

Mark Edry

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 09:47:59 PM »
Man, talk about a rebuild! Here's the Loon loco at Boothbay when it was being serviced in 07:

Without the running gear, about all that's recognizable is the base of the stack and the relative locations of the domes.

Did the aforementioned passenger car end up at Loon also?

Matthew Martin

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 09:14:19 AM »
The engine Mark showed is the engine i was talking about. It looks so different from the photo my local newspaper has printed of it under steam.

Tim Hairston

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 07:54:43 PM »
Well, the German "teakettle" is a sibling to the engines at Boothbay. I belive she came from an operation in New Hampshire that went under and wound up on the Loon Mountain RR.
The "zoo-car," IIRC, is in fact a trailer from one of the 2' railbusses (possibly built or moodified by Edaville's shops.)

I was just browsing through here and noticed this old thread about that Henschel at the MNGRR. That engine is definately not the locomotive at Loon today. The loon engine has been there for over 30 years. I'm still wondering where that little Henschel at the MNGRR went??

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 10:08:05 AM »
A couple of years ago I noticed a very similar Henschel wrapped in a tarp, sitting at White River Junction...

Tim Hairston

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 03:16:20 PM »
On survivingsteamlocomotives.com it lists a 2' 0-4-0 locomotive from White River Junction owned by Edgar T Mead of Etna, NH

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 08:27:41 PM »
That would be the same Locomotive in the first picture. It came to MNGRR for a while, if I remember correctly. And last I knew, Loon Mountain only had one locomotive, so it very well could be the same one pictured at Boothbay, undergoing repairs, in the third photo.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...