Author Topic: SR&RL Railroad Room at Phillips Historical Society a MUST SEE  (Read 6814 times)

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Thurs. night the Stanley Museum Steam Team went to meet with The Phillips Historical Society President, Dennis Atkinson, to give them some insight into one of their exhibits, a Stanley steam engine.  While there, Denny gave us a tour of the home which houses a portion of their goodies. If you find yourself in Phillips, try to explore this site, especially their Railroad Room. This is not to be confused with the SR&RL Railway Museum located over the Sandy River and to the left.  This is right downtown, at the big corner beside the church.  The exhibit is FANTASTIC!  I don't have hours and contact numbers to put here, but it will be worth the effort to see.  Enjoy,  Glenn Byron

Steve Klare

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Narrow Gauge Films
Re: SR&RL Railroad Room at Phillips Historical Society a MUST SEE
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 01:48:27 PM »
Agreed,

In the same building is the Phillips Public Library, with a pretty decent collection of Maine Two Foot books. I used to go to Phillips every summer for Old Home Days and while I was there I read a chapter or two of "Ride the Sandy River". I think it took about five years to finish the book.

I have my own copy now. (It's not as much an adventure this way.)

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:25:34 AM »
Now Have the straight scoop from the horse's mouth and permission to post:  Phillips Historical Society, Dennis Atkinson, President, Phone 639-3111, Hours, May -Sept. 1st and 3rd Sundays, 1-3 pm or by appt.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:40:38 AM by Glenn Byron »

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
Steve and Glenn,
You are so right about the railroad room. I visited there a while back. It is a veritable treasure trove of railroad-related items.
Duncan

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »
Very short notice, but a small group of us RR nuts from Smithfield area has reservations to get into The Phillips Historical Society display tomorrow, Wednesday, morning at about 9am.  This is a special opening, not regular hours, and I don't see any reason other RR buffs couldn't join us.  Do not confuse this with the SR&RL display across the Sandy River.  We also have an appointment with a private RR buff who has a bunch of Narrow Gauge stuff and many books to sell.  I do not know the particular details.  Plan on 1/2 day.  Call me @ 491-1234 or email glenns@tdstelme.net  if you want in.  Glenn